Some advice please

Bob Bob™ 19:50 11 Aug 07

Hello,
I have an old Toshiba laptop that is somehow running XP home, tis quite slow sadly.
I need a computer for recording music and this Toshiba is the only one I have, so to speed things up I was considering downgrading OS to 2000 or 98. Is there any need to or will it speed things up?

The program I want to use is Kristal Audio Engine and this is what they say for the specs.
'PC: "State of the art" machine (> 1 GHz recommended)
(Win98/ME requires latest Internet Explorer 6.0, WinNT is not supported!)
Display: 1280 x 1024 recommended, 1024 x 768 minimum
Sound: ASIO-compatible sound card recommended,
but should work with everything else, too'

My laptop has a Pentium 2 300mhz or so CPU, 192mb of RAM and a 6GB hard disk.

Any advice for me? Putting Win 98/2000 on it is a good idea to increase speed?

Thanks
Rob

Andy1991 19:52 11 Aug 07

Just Upgrade ur RAM its much cheaper than buying a OS that may have even gone rare now. But i recommend keeping XP for Microsoft support and all its compatibilty an dfeatures. a spare 20 quid to upgrade RAM by 512MB will not go to waste

Andy1991 19:53 11 Aug 07

192Mb will make ur computer run slower than a turtle with out legs. To know which RAM and what rules to go buy when getting RAM, go to click here and take a full test of ur computer and it will greatly advise you.

Bob Bob™ 19:54 11 Aug 07

Thanks, but I'm not really in the mood to buy stuff for it. I have the OS disks anyway.

I forgot to mention, this isnt my only PC. I just need a laptop and I happen to have this Toshiba. Im using my Dell 9200 now, but sadly that isnt very portable :P
Anyway, if something goes wrong on the laptop I wont be stuck.

woodchip 19:57 11 Aug 07

No matter what you buy you will not make it much faster. Win98se would be the best bet for that computer CD's on Ebay from about £10

woodchip 19:57 11 Aug 07

Not forgetting you will need all the Hardware Drivers for the Laptop

Andy1991 20:00 11 Aug 07

Downgrading to 200 or XP will not help u become more copatible, I can't believe u have a 300Mhz, I did not think XP can run on that. If want speed things up and keep XP for above reasons than UPgrade ur Hard Disk (Not that expensive, a 40 G will do and u can find them at a cheap prices (internal ofcourse)) your Processor (At least 1.5Ghz (1500Mhz) and your RAM as above, but if u do want to downgrade it will make it go a little faster but u still can not run your program on it.

Andy1991 20:04 11 Aug 07

Ignore above this sounds more right lol:

Downgrading to 2000 or 98 will not help u become more compatible, I can't even believe u have a 300Mhz, I did not think XP can run on that. If u to want speed things up and keep XP for the above reasons then UPgrade ur Hard Disk (Not that expensive, a 40 G will do and u can find them at a cheap prices (internal ofcourse)) your Processor (At least 1.5Ghz (1500Mhz) and your RAM as above, but if u do want to downgrade it will make it go a little faster but u still can not run your program on it.

Bob Bob™ 20:10 11 Aug 07

Thanks andy for that link, Im gonna do that in a few mins.

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite 4080 XCDT and the site that andy linked me to says that 192mb of ram is the most it will take.

Is there any site where I can do the same kind of check for the CPU?
(btw its 366MHz PII)
So, the OS I run doesn't matter that much speed wise.
If I do a clean reinstall of XP or make a new profile and have nothing I dont need starting up, will that have more chance at increasing the speed?

Thanks
Rob

Andy1991 20:31 11 Aug 07

It will clear out all the clutter that has built up over eyars etc and will make it slightly faster. But still recommend RAM. I think ur processor is one of main strangelers, your hard drive is fine since XP requires 1.5 Gig, and u have 6 so that gives u bit to roll around in.

Andy1991 20:34 11 Aug 07

soory, did not read that bit about max RAM. (This means there is no way to run ur program on that laptop). I'm having a look for a site about ur processor but really i'm starting to doubt ur laptops hope. Might wanna get a new one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…