Some advice needed.

polo 21:19 20 Jun 04

I'm wondering what I should be looking for in terms of specifications when I go for a new computer? I want it mainly for photography. I now have a 8 megapixel camera which does of course produce very big files and consequently my present computer is much too slow. What features are advised?

hugh-265156 22:30 20 Jun 04

for photo editing you will want plenty of ram and lots of storage so 512+ of ram and 120gig hard drive would be a good starting point. any modern pentium or athlon processor will do really but dont go for less than a 2gig p4 or athlon equivelent unless you have to. you will need a copy of windows so make sure its xp.

get a monitor that looks nice to you 19' crt or 17' tft at minimum. a seperate graphics card is not that important unless you wish to play modern games and onboard sound is fine if only using small desktop speakers but dont settle for less than 5.1

how much do you want to spend and what else is it going to be used for. spend as much as you can afford and get the highest spec you can now as it will last longer.

Forum Editor 23:50 20 Jun 04

and I have nothing to add.

woodchip 00:06 21 Jun 04

A CRT monitor is best for graphics or Photo editing, As you can zoom right in to see individual pixels

polo 21:14 21 Jun 04

Do I need a high spec graffics card or would I be best off without. I'm told that graffics cards are very noisey.

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:36 21 Jun 04

Unless you are well into gaming you do not need an expensive graphics card. On board graphics will more than suffice.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…