Some advice on my site please

STEVE71163 12:40 02 Dec 03

I put this site together click here for my business some months ago now and think it is time to make some changes and hopefully make some improvements. One of the things that really irritates me is the banner at the top (Where the company name is) being out of line. I have tried to line it up but no luck. Any suggestions for improvements would be welcome.

MichelleC 15:50 02 Dec 03

It's very good. I'm interested myself as I'm in Kingston, but it's just a bugbear of mine - I like to know the prices. You may find surfers' attention-span is short, so if there's no set prices for ie; 3 bed house, hall, stairs, landing etc they may not be interested.

But it's a good site. Well done.

STEVE71163 18:32 02 Dec 03

Thanks for replying. MichelleC It is difficult to give prices for carpet cleaning without looking at the job because their are many factors that affect the price. I have been fiddling around with my site layout this afternoon but am comming up with a few difficulties. The first is on the contact page on the submit button i would like it to go to my e mail address but it will not let me?? The other small thing is under the links button the line will not stay white?? Yet it does before i send it to my server? Any ideas?

STEVE71163 18:34 02 Dec 03

Sorry the site i am putting together is click here and my existing site is click here

STEVE71163 19:06 03 Dec 03

up

Taran 19:44 03 Dec 03

Are you using the FrontPage form extension at all ?

As in, right click on your form and select Properties and fill in your email address/destination database and so on ?

You can change the hover effects on a local basis but I'm not sure yet whether the design is part of an applied theme, in which case you'd have to modify the theme itself and apply it sitewide.

Can you give a bit more detail ?

Michelle has a valid point and while you obviously cannot take any variables into account, you could still suggest ball-park figures:

Domestic carpets cleaned from £XX

Office cleaning services from £XX or on contract at £XX

with an obvious disclaimer below this to the effect that the figures are not quotes and are sample low ceiling prices and please could people get in touch for a confirmed quote, etc, etc.

I have to say though, that the site is looking really slick and professional now. It's amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it isn't it ?

Well done.

;o)

Regards

Taran

STEVE71163 14:28 05 Dec 03

Hi Taran,
When i right click on the submit button to fill in the e mail address it comes back with a message saying that the server has to be set up for it? The other thing is the line under the links button is green but it should be white but it shows white on frontpage?

Any ideas?

Steve

Taran 15:41 05 Dec 03

Are you editing the files locally on your hard drive or live on the web server ?

You should edit them in a web folder on your hard drive to be on the safe side.

To configure your form, right click on a blank space in the form and select form properties from the available drop down menu. When the form properties window pops up it defaults to Send to: File name: _private/form_results.txt and you have to tell it to send to an email address instead.

You often get the message at this point that FrontPage server extensions are not installed or configured correctly, please contact your system administrator, blah, blah blah, would you like to remove the email recipient ?

This is just because the email facility requires a server extension to be installed and correctly set up to allow your form to handle email responses and FrontPage has figured out that you don't have this facility on your system.

You normally find if you respond 'No' when it asks if you'd like to remove the email address then you publish the site or page, the form works and sends to the address you specified - always assuming of course that you publish the site to a web host that has FrontPage extensions installed and configured.

About the only time you don't get that warning when using FrontPage forms is when you have Internet Information Services installed as a testing server on your computer, correctly set up for SMTP and you have your web folder designated as a virtual directory to test your FrontPage sites which allows you to check whether the server extensions (for forms and things) are working.

Just answer 'No' when asked if you'd like to remove the email address then publish the form to your web and test it. It should work just fine and this is one of the silly messages that I wish Microsoft would rewrite to something more meaningful for those not familar with web servers.

Give it a go and if things fall apart let me know.

Once you get your form working we'll look at the cosmetics of your white line, but a working form is far more important at this stage.

Regards

Taran

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…