solitaire probable hijack

twicklad 17:12 08 Dec 06

Windows XP. The solitaire game ( supplied in "Games")
appears to have been modified. When calling up the game a message headed "Missing Shortcut" says "Window is searching for sol.exe To locate the file yourself click Browse". Carrying out this instruction calls up a panel giving a choice of network connections including a dial-up. The desktop icon changes. Any attempt to disable using the usual methods fails.I can change the icon back by restoring.
Any ideas as to what is going on. The game has been used while waiting for downloads to complete.

VoG II 17:21 08 Dec 06

Right click the shortcut > Properties. Make sure that the Target box shows

%SystemRoot%\system32\sol.exe

twicklad 20:48 08 Dec 06

In poperties this was highlighted blue.clicking it produced the message that it was not valid.

Jackcoms 21:04 08 Dec 06

I doubt that Solitaire has been "hijacked".

Probably 99% of us have it on our PCs, so it's hardly unique and, thus, worth 'hijacking'.

However, try System Restore to a time before the problem first occurred.

twicklad 21:24 08 Dec 06

Jackcoms
Was not suggesting that anyone would waste time trying to hijack it to use but am concerned that it is asking me to select a link to a dial up connection.

Jackcoms 21:26 08 Dec 06

My suggestion still stands.

Have you tried it?

twicklad 22:50 08 Dec 06

Jackcoms
Have tried several restores to when I think it was normal. perhaps I should take a bigger jump back.
Have just run Spybot, lots of other problems found & fixed but this remains.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…