solitaire

jimmer409? 17:24 20 Sep 03

just recently my sol game has gone weird, the game and help (on the top bar) are now white with the grey background???? also when i click on help, it tries to dial out, any ideas anyone???

Valvegrid 18:04 20 Sep 03

If you're running Windows 98SE I seem to remember in the Windows help files certain files are duplicated, in other words you should see Sol.hlp and another called sol.htm. I think it's picking up on the htm file then it's opening in your web browser, hence it thinks you want to connect. I think if you just say no to connect, you should be able to read the help OK.

Sorry about all the 'if's and but's' but I'm doing this from memory because I've removed all the help files from my Windows 98SE because I don't use them, it save a bit of space on the disk.

Paul.

jimmer409? 18:19 20 Sep 03

thanks valve grid, running xp home, yes i can cancel the dialup and still read the help files, but i want to stop the game from dialing out, and also why are the game and help in white???

Djohn 18:30 20 Sep 03

Do you have your desktop set as "Active"? If so then maybe clicking on any help file will try to connect to web. Just a guess, can't think of any other reason. j.

-pops- 18:34 20 Sep 03

I'm always very suspicious of anything that tries to dial out without my say so, especially something as obscure as solitaire.

I suggest you download and run Spybot S&D before you do much else (if you haven't done that already, of course) click here

Valvegrid 19:36 20 Sep 03

I think the reason it opens some files in Internet Explorer is that it uses the HyperLinks to open various other windows in the help system, like it does on a web page.

Paul.

jimmer409? 09:29 21 Sep 03

thanks so far everyone, ran spybot, still trying to dial out, my firewall tries to block, stating sol.exe is trying to access the net?? should i delete sol.exe?? also just thought this all seemed to happen after i received and loaded sp1 from microsoft. (from the free disc)

VoG II 09:36 21 Sep 03

I've just done Start, Run, SOL.EXE

which starts Solitaire. When I access the help file my Firewall tells me that SOL.EXE is trying to access the internet.

I have XP SP1 with all security patches and completely virus, trojan and spyware free.

I suspect that solitaire help is trying to "phone home" for additional Help information and this might be a new feature in SP1.

This doesn't help with your "white" problem.

Try Start, Run and type in

SFC /SCANNOW

and have XP and SP1 disks to hand.

Valvegrid 13:37 21 Sep 03

Found it!

I was almost right, I had to reload all my Windows Help files to see how the damned things work, anyway, Windows Help files are 'Complied HTML files' with a file extension *.chm

I can see in my system the Help files are opened with an application called HH.exe which is located in my Windows folder. I suspect that those *.chm files on your machine are associated to open with your Internet Explorer Browser.

I am not sure how to change the associations in Windows XP because I don't know the system, maybe someone reading this can take it from here for you. As I said in my earlier post I don't think it's anything malicious, only Internet Explorer opening and thinking you want to connect, so it's doing what it's supposed to do when it's opened.

I'm not sure about the white with the grey background, I'm with Vog on that one.

Paul.

jimmer409? 14:14 21 Sep 03

thanks vog, tried running the sfc/scannow, system could not find the file?? have also noticed the white on other aps. mailwasher, etc.
strange, from memory i had this once before and can't remember how i sorted it out. Each item on the tool bar at the top is outlined in white as apposed to the normal grey.

VoG II 14:29 21 Sep 03

Right click desktop, Properties.

On the Appearance tab, click the Advanced button.

Where it shows "Active window" click in the menu area then underneath you can change the colours, fonts and so on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…