Solid State Hard Drive

Diabolo 13:13 04 Nov 11

I'm thinking of replacing my 5 year old laptop soon. Should I be considering a replacement with a bootable SSD only and no hard drive?

birdface 13:24 04 Nov 11

Better be quick Hard drive prices are rocketing at the moment.

from another thread.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/2/consumerwatch/4091581/hard-drive-prices-skyrocket/

robin_x 13:55 04 Nov 11

I have wanted an SSD for a while (and another ext drive) but pennies are tight.

From careful use and partitioning of my existing W7 laptop 250GB drive, I reckon 90GB would be the least size of SSD I would be happy with (most apps and data on another hard drive/partition)

Many use 64GB which have been more affordable.

128GB and more SSDs have been a lot more expensive and of course the Thailand situation has made a right mess of the market now.

Diabolo 14:04 04 Nov 11

Thanks very much.

gengiscant 14:20 04 Nov 11

SSD's are certainly not rocketing in price,quite the reverse. An OCZ Vertex is now around £75 now, I paid well over a £100 earlier this year.A Crucial C300 is around £80 as opposed to again well over the hundred I paid.

A 60GB SSD is more than enough for an operating system and loads of software/programs.Games, music,photos and docs are all on a 500GB Sata hard-drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…