Sofware required

chesterfield 10:32 21 Feb 03

Hi

I am in desperate need of 2 pieces of software -
something that will convert a PDF to an editable form such as txt or HTML and secondly a search facility for a website that doesnt require me getting up to my neck in server side coding.

Ive tried looking for both of these on CNET and TUCOWS and even though they seem to have seemingly appropriate solutions they all come up short - search facilities that only search 6 pages for instance.

Help and advice would be much appreciated.

Roger

Lú-tzé 10:40 21 Feb 03

"convert a PDF to an editable form such as txt or HTML" - one option is to print it and then scan it using good OCR software.

"a search facility for a website" - Google have an option to add their search facilities to a site.

Lú-tzé 10:41 21 Feb 03

"convert a PDF to an editable form such as txt or HTML" - or, if allowed, use the text select function and paste it into a (eg) Word Doc.

chesterfield 10:51 21 Feb 03

Genius - I woudnt of thought of just selecting and pasting the text into a Word doc as I thought that the whole thing about PDF's was to protect the content from being edited - thank you Lu-tze you have been a great help!

chesterfield 10:53 21 Feb 03

Still looking for a search utility to allow users to search the contents of my site - not a search engine for the web.

Any ideas?

AndySD 11:01 21 Feb 03

click here google site searsh?

Acrobat and protection....if the creater of the document wants to protect it they can..... its not set as a default.

Lú-tzé 11:02 21 Feb 03

"click here"

and

click here

Google's SiteSearch service searches only the specific domain(s) that you listed. You can give your users the option to toggle between these different search options.

Thus you can have a query box to search your site or to search the web. Lots of sites use it and it is a powerful search.

chesterfield 11:40 21 Feb 03

Yeah looks good but I really dont want any brading appearing on the site - which of course the Google one has! Any other thoughts?

Roger

dabthoms 11:45 21 Feb 03

Hi chesterfield,
You can add a web indexer to your site. I know of three, the first two are free, FreeFind and Picosearch, though there are paid for versions available with extra features. They use a spider to index your site then store this index remotely. When a visitor searches your site the search results are pulled from this remotely-stored index and displayed.
The third, Babbage, is a free program you download and add manually to the files that make up your site. This one is directly incorporated into the code that makes up your website.
All three work OK, but I favour FreeFind.

click here
click here
click here

chesterfield 12:05 21 Feb 03

Thanks for the advice - looks like it carries advertising on the results pages though - is that right?

dabthoms 13:02 21 Feb 03

Only the free version, and it's only one banner ad.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…