Software question

simonsup 18:02 08 Apr 03

Hi all, i am trying to make a decent CV because i
am being made redundant at the end of the month.
I need a decent piece of software to make a cv,
free would be nice. to run on xp pro.
thanks simonsup

€dstow 18:48 08 Apr 03

As someone who is on the receiving end of CVs, here's what I like to see:

1. Not one that is obviously done by rote, completed by filling in the boxes and letting the program do the layout. I want at least some indication that the document has a little originality.

2. Short and to the point. Anything more than two pages indicates to me that the applicant is either a windbag, forever blowing his own trumpet OR (worse) has had so many jobs, it won't be worth me giving him one.

3. Material details i.e. name, address, experience and job history on the top page immediately readable without searching through most of the text.

4. Education can go on the second page and I'm not the least interested in the infants school, just senior education. Not interested in your summer student jobs either unless relevant to the employment you are seeking. Grape picking or work as a plongeur are of zero interest to me.

5. I have no interest in your hobbies and pastimes either unless relevant to the job or are illegal. In the latter case I wouldn't give you a job anyway so you wouldn't put it down.

6. Don't, whatever you do, engage one of the professional CV writing agencies. Their efforts are immediately obvious to anyone who has read more than four CVs and they indicate to me (like a DIY-with-software-help one) someone who is either incapable of independent thought, is lazy or just incapable. None of these would I want as an employee.

Sorry if that sounds harsh but I have a constant flow of CVs coming to me through the post, email, fax, personal delivery. Any that don't fulfil the above, I'm afraid don't get much more than a cursory glance.

€d

Bebee 18:59 08 Apr 03

I agree with all the CV advice. Any basic word processor or a DTP program will produce a well presented CV. Open Office (free) will do it if you don't have MSWorks/Word etc.

jazzypop 19:37 08 Apr 03

You really don't need CV-writing software (and as €dstow suggests, you don't really want to use it anyway).

It is helpful to get a few tips if you are not experienced in cv composition - see click here or just type 'free cv' into Google (as well as reviewing the helpful advice above).

Any word processor will let you create a decent-looking document.

You will also find that most large employers do not want CVs, but ask you to fill in their standard application forms to help reduce bias in the initial selection process.

spuds 20:16 08 Apr 03

I think most as been stated in the above.Keep your CV short,sharp,sweet and to the point. All you need is a 'Word'type programme. Make a couple of experimental drafts, and try to keep to the format best suited to yourself.

If you pursue an hobby that takes up alot of your time,do not mention it. I once read a very impressive CV,but reading the hobby insert, made me wonder if the applicant had time to work.

simonsup 21:02 08 Apr 03

thanks I`ve got office so i will use that :)

Belatucadrus 22:53 08 Apr 03

click here Is a good site for guidance on creating a CV, it's also got a couple of useful templates

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…