Software Help & Computer Illiterate (2).

AlanRLong 12:02 12 Nov 03

Thank you for your reply to my 'Computer Illiterate' discussion a while back. Id like to now ask the questions of 'soundcards' and 'music creation' software please. When I get my computer next year from MultiVision,I would like to know what kind of soundcard would be representative of hi-fi sound when played back through a hi-fi system please? Additionally,I have 'composed' a song on my friends computer and would like to add software which resembled 'real' instruments to 'compose' by? Although my song was essentially 'dance' and was done for fun,(not bad for a nearly-50 year old computer illiterate) what kind of software is there to help me 'compose' with? Lastly,what software would I need to index with when I begin to copy over 1500 cds (around 30,000++ individual tracks)? Is my understanding correct that barcode traceable software listing every shop-bought cd from the UK and USA is in existence? Once again,I thank you all for your help and look forward to reading your replies. Alan Long.

to begin with lets just say that 1500 cds,even compressed to smithereens will demand that you buy a NAS unit for storage cos they're just not going to fit on a normal, even very large hard drive. As to a quality soundcard take a look at the Creative Audigy Platinum card as to the software for composition I dont really know as there is a vast selection out there but Cubasis is a place to start your research.
As to the indexing you will find that the standard windows media player will do a suprisingly good job, if you put in a CD while you are on-line it will go off around the Net and come back with a little picture and a track listing and a wee biog of the artist.

Peverelli 14:17 12 Nov 03

Anvil Studio is a good starting point for basic midi creation (for composing music with a PC). Free download here: click here

Steinberg's Cubasis & Cubase are excellent programs but rather complicated. It's best to start with a simple program to get used to the basics first. The Audigy soundcard recommended by horiz5 would be an excellent choice as it comes with a software synthesiser with (in most cases) very realistic sounds. I often search for midi problems on this site, so if you need help or advice, this is the place to come to.

As I mentioned in your previous thread click here (and horiz5 has repeated here) to store 30,000 songs (average 3 minutes each?) will take up about 900 Gb uncompressed and 90 Gb compressed to mp3 format, so it's not really viable at the moment to store them all on your PC.

froggg 17:34 12 Nov 03

h/drives are getting bigger and cheaper all the time,2 x 300gb about £300+.
4of them on a decent mobo should be plenty!

4 of them and you,ll need an extra IDE controller card or you wont be able to read the CDs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…