Software displaying weirdly

patzan 16:18 25 Oct 10

Help! A software programmed I've commissioned is displaying weirdly on my new computer. When I loaded it onto my last computer it looked like this:

click here

Now, on my new PC, it looks like this:

click here

The last PC had XP and the new one has Windows 7, but most other users have used this software on Windows 7 without any difficulty. I know though that a small minority have experienced the same difficulty as me.

The programmer has no idea what is causing this, but frankly I think he's out of his area of expertise with this whole project.

The software plays sound files, and I think it's based on Windows Media Player in some way - it seems to incorporate WMP somehow.

The software is downloadable here click here if anyone needs to download it to try to ascertain the cause. Very grateful for any answers! I can't really let the public use the software until I've worked out how to solve this issue, whether by asking users to install a patch or by rewriting the original software in some way.

GaT7 16:27 25 Oct 10

Try installing it in Win7 via Compatibility Mode (CM) for XP or older OS click here & see what it's like.

This is not being offered as a solution, but you may have fewer incompatibilities with CM, while you work out a permanent solution. G

patzan 16:33 25 Oct 10

Thanks for the lightning-fast answer. So you think it's a compatibility issue related to the operating system? If so, that would narrow it down for any other readers.

GaT7 16:41 25 Oct 10

"So you think it's a compatibility issue related to the operating system?"

Could be. Could be something else.

Another thing you'd like users to check in the affected Win7 systems is the amount of display scaling click here or click here being used. Ask them to set this to its default value & check if there's any change in the GUI. They may have to log-off/log-on or restart Windows for the changes to take effect. G

patzan 16:42 25 Oct 10

Unfortunately it still doesn't work when I try opening it in earlier operating systems on this computer.

GaT7 16:46 25 Oct 10

Doesn't work at all, or doesn't work as in click here?

Run the installed program executable in CM as well. As before, right-click the installed program's executable (in C:\Program Files\Your program name) > Properties > Compatibility... G

patzan 17:10 25 Oct 10

I mean it doesn't change anything - it still opens with the GUI all skewed.

What I didn't mention before (because I thought the sight of the GUI might be enough to diagnose the issue) is that there are two other quirks on the new PC too, neither of which happened on the previous one.

1, when I open the application I get an error message that I should only get when trying to play a file that the application can't play, namely "PLAY: PlayStart:20:The specified format is not support or cannot be translated. Use the Capabilities function to determine the supported formats."

2, every time I shut the application down I get a message from the Program Compatibility Assistant telling me the program requires a missing Windows component. I follow that along and it tells me I need to update Flash, which I've now done twice, and again it made no difference.

I don't know if these are relevant or not...?

patzan 17:11 25 Oct 10

"Run the installed program executable in CM as well. As before, right-click the installed program's executable (in C:\Program Files\Your program name) > Properties > Compatibility" - nope. still the same after this too.

GaT7 18:27 25 Oct 10

I tried the program on my Win7 64-bit install (running an older beta version though) & the GUI is fine. Didn't even have to use CM.

Sorry, I cannot think of anything else to do. A dedicated programming forum might help? All the best with it. G

lotvic 18:39 25 Oct 10

A wild guess from a numbskull on these matters...
Could it be a codec problem?

Simsy 19:08 25 Oct 10

"but most other users have used this software on Windows 7 without any difficulty."

Have they been using the 32bit version perhaps?

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…