Sockets on Sound Card?

Rabi 11:19 19 Mar 04

My PC has what seems to be a standard motherboard configuration, i.e. height & socket positions. There are three sockets on the motherboard, (on-board), I know are for Speaker, Microphone, and Line In. These are not labeled on my PC.
I am using the standard on-board sound card.

How do you identify the 3? I put in a line feed from a cassette player, and obviously 1 didn't work, which was the speeaker output. When I connected a speaker to this socket, speakers worked. Not so easy on the other 2 sockets, as both are designed to input sound to the PC. Only thing is, with the cassette line-in, one was louder than the other, and one was clearer
than the other. Which is for the microphone, and which for the line in?
Thanks.

anon1 11:26 19 Mar 04

Are they colour coded? normal config is speaker line mic working away from the joystick port

Megatyte 11:29 19 Mar 04

The one that sounded clear from the cassette line-out is the line-in socket.

AH

SANTOS7 11:55 19 Mar 04

Rabi on the back of most towers near the sockets in question you might see a small stamped image
denoting which socket is which i.e you will see a michrophone stamped next to the mic socket try there

xania 12:27 19 Mar 04

What model PC? DO you have a manual? Should be there. If not, what model PC, how old and where purchased?

Eric10 12:44 19 Mar 04

Following on from SANTOS7's answer the symbols for the other two sockets are usually a representation of sound waves radiating with an arrow running across them. If the arrow points inward then this is Line-in, if it points outward then it is Line-out/speakers.

Stuartli 14:09 19 Mar 04

Have you also checked your volume control's Mixer?

You may have some inputs/outputs either muted or the sliders turned down - in addition most sound programs such as WMP have a volume control/mute facility which may be affecting your sound.

It's easier to remember that a soundcard's speakers output is from the socket with a green surround.

Rabi 13:52 22 Mar 04

Sorry delay in replying, noaccess to Internet for a few days:

1)anon1: no, sockets not colour coded

2)Santos7: NO, no stampings next to the sockets

3)xania: No. there is no manual, and the PC is a clone, built by a colleague. We have the motherboard manual, and amazingly these sockets are not individually described!

xania 10:54 24 Mar 04

If its a standard ATX motherboard, then the sockets should be in the following order, reading from the COM ports:

1 Line-out
2 Line-in
3 Mic

If you send me your e-mail address, I will send you a graphic which explains this more clearly - there really should be a way of attaching a graphic to this message.

Rabi 01:09 25 Mar 04

Thank you Xania, this is what I was hoping someone would point out, because it seems to me that there is a sort of standard configuration for ATX motherboards, though I didn't know what this configuration was.

My email address follows shortly.

hugh-265156 01:57 25 Mar 04

plug your tape deck,cd player etc into the socket you think is correct and press play.

if you hear sound then its either in the line in socket or the mic socket.

to check click start/control panel/sounds and audio devices/volume/advanced/

click options/properties/playback

tick the wave,mp3,mic and line in radio buttons.

adjust the slider for the "line in" if the volume goes up or down you have the correct socket.

if not it may be in the mic socket.try the slider for that.if the volume goes up or down then plug into the other socket.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…