Socket A Sempron v Athlon xp

Madrat 15:35 02 Apr 07

Hello,

My sisters system is running on an Athlon xp 1900 FSB 266, I will shortly have a Sempron 2600 FSB 333 going spare, if I put it in her system will it make any notasable diferance or would it not be worth it? she is running 1gb of DDR333.

woodchip 15:51 02 Apr 07

Sempron is a poor mans Athlon, It will slow it down

Madrat 15:56 02 Apr 07

really, even though the clock speed and fsb are faster?

woodchip 16:09 02 Apr 07

Best way is to Bench test, or you could try PCPITSTOP click here

woodchip 16:11 02 Apr 07

Do it with the Athlon, then fix Sempron and test.Do not forget thermal paste on top of the CPU before fitting it

Madrat 16:38 02 Apr 07

I really didnt want to mess with the system if I could help it. "they dont like it up um Mr Mannaring" I didnt realise a sempron was slower than an older Athlon.

Totally-braindead 16:45 02 Apr 07

I'm not sure which would be faster, the Semprons were designed with less cache memory for one thing which slows them up. They are a budget chip same as Intels Celeron was a cut down version of the full Pentium.
Personally I think the difference would be slight whichever way it went. And as such I personally would be trying to decide if it was worth the bother.
Theres no harm in trying it, providing you are careful and it will only cost a bit of time and a bit of thermal paste.
But I think you might find the only way to tell the difference would be to run a benchmark program. I'd be fairly sure that performancewise they would be about the same.

Madrat 16:55 02 Apr 07

I think you could be right, A sempron 2600 is rated at 1833mhz with L1/L2 cache at 128k and 256k
the FSB is 333mhz the Athlon 1900+ (palomino)is rated at 1600mhz with the same cache as the sempron but its FSB is only 266mhz thats why I wonderd if the Sempron would be faster.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…