Socket Notification Sink

symphony 20:56 18 Feb 08

This prevents the comp shutting down, I have to disable it to shut down.
I have looked on the net but the instructions to deal with it are well above my head.
Do you know of a simple way to get rid of it please?
I'm running Win XP.
Thanks in anticipation.

johndrew 12:06 19 Feb 08

There is a lot on it click here but how to cure it appears a bit muddled as you say.

I suggest you run your anti-malware scanners and see if they pick anything up; make certain they are updated first. You could also try an online scan like Trend Micro HouseCall click here and a cleanup with the likes of Ccleaner click here make certain it is the latest version.

If the problem persists download Hijack This click here and post a copy of the file here click here in the English Forums (marked as English-Help) or here click here. You will need to register with the Forum before you can post.

Hope this helps.

Totally-braindead 13:16 19 Feb 08

I'm a bit lost with this too, only suggestion I have other than what johndrew has suggested is try a couple of system restores and see what happens.

skidzy 19:46 19 Feb 08

I have seen this before and believe this to be a corrupt driver ! click here

skidzy 19:57 19 Feb 08

Also run this click here save the backup first to your desktop...just in case.

If my hunch is correct,running the Winsockfix and a reboot of the system,should sort your problem.

Failing this,follow the advice about running HJT and getting your log checked out.

symphony 19:54 20 Feb 08

It's all above my head at the moment but I'll look into it more when I can dedicate more time to it. I considered it a minor irritation but is my computer in any danger?

skidzy 20:36 20 Feb 08

No danger that i can see unless you are infected..but in my opinion unlikely.

Run the Winsockfix (create the backup first) and see if this cures your problem.

You may need to reboot the pc.

symphony 00:03 22 Feb 08

Thanks for the reasurance. To be honest I'm likely to just put up with it at least for a while.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced