Socket Error: Can't get online

Handy Spinner 11:18 28 Jul 04

I'm having major problems accessing the Internet: this is what's happened so far.

-Prologue-

A history of poor internet connections, but somewhat improved recently. New modem set up OK and connection seems to be about the same, just wanted to solve it completely.

-Chapter 1-

Since I've now replaced my modem with little change in performance, it strikes me that it might be the Dial-up adapter causing the problems I have. So...I remove it.

-Chapter 2-

Reinstall dial-up adapter using files from another computer running Win 98 SE (like mine).

-Chapter 3/4 (can't remember in which order 3 and 4 happened)-

Computer will connect to Internet, but having major problems with various programs, as follows.

a. When starting IE I get the message informing me that Explorer has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. Needless to say, that means that Explorer shuts down and I am unable to access the Internet.

b. MailWasher Pro tells me it has socket errors.

c. RealVNC viewer tells me it "Cannot create socket".

d. ZoneAlarm starts up disabled.

e. NAV says it is unable to start email protection.

-Chapter 3/4-

Removed "TCP/IP (Dial-up Adapter)" and reinstalled it.

-Chapter 5 (to come)-

Get help from PCAdvisor's loving Helproom members and solve my PC woes...I hope!!! Thanks in advance. This is easily the biggest problem I've had with my PC for ages. :O

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…