Sobig still there!!

sorefingers 01:35 22 Aug 03

I have run my AVG av and it removed the infected file.........now its back again!

Help please!

Djohn 01:43 22 Aug 03

Did you remember to disable "system restore" [If on XP] before you removed the virus? If not then disable, and clean again, should get rid of it! Good luck. j.

anchor 08:48 22 Aug 03

Full details for its removal can be found on the Norton site.

click here

System restore must be disabled if using Windows ME or XP.

Jester2K II 08:51 22 Aug 03

If your AV detects a virus in the C:\System volume information\Restore\..... etc directory this means System Restore has backed up the Virus and your AV can't delete it. Windows protects these files for obvious reasons.
The virus cannot harm your PC directly from the System Restore folder.

To remove the virus from there you need to flush System Restore.

Windows Me

1. Click Start, Settings, and then click Control Panel. 2. Double-click the System icon. The System Properties dialogue box appears.

NOTE: If the System icon is not visible, click "View all Control Panel options" to display it.

3. Click the Performance tab, and then click File System. 4. Click the Troubleshooting tab, and then check Disable System Restore. 5. Click OK. Click Yes, when you are prompted to restart Windows.

Once you have cleaned the virus or other problem from the computer, re-enable System Restore by following these directions

To enable Windows Me System Restore:

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. 2. Double-click System, and then click the Performance tab. 3. Click File System, and then click the Troubleshooting tab. 4. Uncheck Disable System Restore. 5. Click OK. Click Yes, when you are prompted to restart Windows.

Windows XP

IMPORTANT NOTES:

You must be logged in as an Administrator to do this. If you are not logged in as an Administrator, the System Restore tab will not be displayed. Turning off System Restore will clear out all previous restore points. To turn off Windows XP System Restore:

NOTE: These instructions assume that you are using the default Windows XP Start Menu and have not changed to the Classic Start menu. To re-enable the default menu, right-click Start, click Properties, click Start menu (not Classic) and then click OK.

1. Click Start. 2. Right-click the My Computer icon, and then click Properties. 3. Click the System Restore tab. 4. Check "Turn off System Restore" or "Turn off System Restore on all drives" as shown in this illustration: 5. Click Apply. 6. When turning off System Restore, the existing restore points will be deleted. Click Yes to do this. 7. Click OK. 8. Proceed with what you need to do; for example, virus removal. When you have finished, restart the computer and follow the instructions in the next section to turn on System Restore.

To turn on Windows XP System Restore:

1. Click Start. 2. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties. 3. Click the System Restore tab. 4. Uncheck "Turn off System Restore" or "Turn off System Restore on all drives." 5. Click Apply, and then click OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…