SoBig Non-deletable File Prob, Any ideas?!

GibsonSt19 14:01 25 Aug 03

Hiya,

I've established that SoBig.A is lurking on my 'puter and have downloaded the necessary removal tool from Symantec, however when I click Start it begins it's search but stops when it encounters a MPEG video file which, when trying to view it through explorer, is aparently not found, even though I can see the icon.

I'm not sure why, but this is stopping the removal tool scanning the whole drive and therefore need to delete this rogue video file.

Any ideas?

By the way, I have disabled System Restore and I'm running XP Pro.

Thanks people!

Forum Editor 14:02 25 Aug 03

running the tool with Windows in safe mode?

DieSse 14:04 25 Aug 03

Maybe it hasbn't stopped, but is just taking a long time to scan it. MPEG video files can be pretty large!

GibsonSt19 14:16 25 Aug 03

Safemode made no difference.

Also DieSse, thanks for the hint however it's not a case of the scanner pausing, simply shutting down when it encounters the file.

Any other ideas? Ideally, I'd like to be able to delete the file at some point in the future anyway, so I don't really want to work around it.

Look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Thanks

jakedawe 14:23 25 Aug 03

Why not remove that MPEG or if you really need to keep it, move it to another partition.

GibsonSt19 14:25 25 Aug 03

It won't let me delete it, or move it or anything.

Anyone know of a SureFire file deleter or any other way to get rid of this file?

Thanks

plankton 14:38 25 Aug 03

You dont say whether uve downloaded the MS updates. I think theyre supposed to clear the file attachments. Perhaps u aint got em all??
If I'm wrong ignore and forgive. :o)

GibsonSt19 14:41 25 Aug 03

As I've not been able to access the update site for some days now.

Any other ideas clever peeps?!

Ta

Forum Editor 14:44 25 Aug 03

representing this rogue file - are you able to right-click on it and get a menu?

If you are, what does it say under properties - does it have a name, and are you able to rename it?

GibsonSt19 14:48 25 Aug 03

The options I have are:

Open
Play in RealOne Player
Add to RealOne Player Now Playing List
Burn CD in RealOne Player
Copy it to CD or device
Queue-it-up
Add to playlist...
Play with Media Player
Open With
Send to

It seems to be the only file in the folder which doesn't have all the usual options like delete, rename etc...

Is this making any sense?

MichelleC 14:52 25 Aug 03

I'm not being funny, but for the sake of finding out if virus is totally off, why not do a Housecall online scan click here but disable your onboard av.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…