So what can you do with a network?...

martjc 18:55 16 May 06

...Is there a way to pass messages to other members of the network? I seem to remember in the dark old days of Novell, there was a built in method of passing messages to colleagues. However, I do not know the commands for Microsoft's Windows network - how can I find them? How do I put the network to greater use tham just sharing files and printers - which, at the moment, it does quite sporadically.

Or is it that the Windows network is just another half finished job by Uncle Bill?

De Marcus™ 19:35 16 May 06
  martjc 21:47 16 May 06

...that looks a useful program for me. Wouldn't it be great if Windows contained such useful stuff rather than, for instance, a word processor that no one needs?

As for the commands? Can anyone help me? I am talking about admin stuff that a network should make known. They MUST exist! Where the hell are they?

mgmcc 22:27 16 May 06

<<< Wouldn't it be great if Windows contained such useful stuff rather than, for instance, a word processor that no one needs? >>>

Go to "Start > Run", type CONF and click OK. This will open Windows' built-in NetMeeting application. If this is running in all networked computers, just enter another PC's IP address to talk to it.

Forum Editor 23:54 16 May 06

That's a tad harsh.

I have clients running windows networks with over 800 desktops, and there are far larger networks than that running very smoothly.

martjc 09:26 17 May 06

...but I was referring to the fact that there are many commands and sub programs that I only find out about on these pages or similar. There should be a list somewhere detailing ALL the things one can do in Windows. This list should be known by all Windows users. As far as I know, it doesn't even exist!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…