So much for always on connection!

AJ28 14:09 18 May 03

Always on connection, no dial-ups ????

BT Broadband - everytime computer is turned on and its booted up to the desktop, the internet isnt on like its meant to be!
Although after clicking connect it takes about 5 seconds to connect this isnt the point its always meant to be on!
Is there something i havent done?

Forum Editor 14:16 18 May 03

is not 'always on' in the sense that you mean, and it's a good thing too.

When your computer starts up the ADSL modem handshakes with the exchange, and then, when you're ready you can click on the connection icon to go online. The latest Alcatel driver includes the facility to automatically establish the connection as soon as Windows has finished loading.

I wouldn't have thought that a few seconds to make the connection was such a terrible thing - most people seem happy to accept that.

An 'always on' connection leaves your machine in a vulnerable state if it's running - it will have what amounts to a fixed IP address, which is a juicy target for any hacker who happens to be passing.

AJ28 14:19 18 May 03

Oh right well thats ok!

I just thought there was something wrong. Obviously not

lovelylel 15:41 18 May 03

Thanks for mentioning there was a new Alcatel driver, I have just downloaded and installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…