So many questions, but no apparent answers?

Graphicool1 10:28 02 Feb 09

My WinXP SP3 PC is set up to inform me when important MS updates should be downloaded and installed. However, there has been a big buzz over the past few days in this forum regarding
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86
Yet Microsoft HASN'T! notified me directly, that I should be downloading it? So I went online and had Microsoft run a check on my OS to see what was needed. Sure enough it came up with this .NET 3.5 Update, labelled 'High Priority' no less!
I duly downloaded and attempted to install it, no go, it wouldn't/couldn't install it?
I sent Microsoft an email, they 'electronically' acknowledged my email, saying as it was only a 'Priority C' request they would get back to me in a few days.

My questions are:-
(1) Do I really need this update?
(2) When does a 'High Priority' update,
become 'Priority C'?
(3) Why wasn't I notified through the usual
channels ie the 'Update Service'?

Pamy 10:44 02 Feb 09

I think Net. Framework is realy for programers that is why it is not on the normall updates for windows users.

woodchip 10:49 02 Feb 09

You do not need this Its only for Programs to work with. These are new programs and Internet That use this. If you are not having problems using the Net forget it until you are

iscanut 10:52 02 Feb 09

If your pc is fine up to now, just hide the update on the update pages and you will not be bothered again, apart from the reminder that you have hidden updates !

provider 2 10:55 02 Feb 09

Gaphicool 1,

Win XP Home SP3 but my notification was in the Custom section, not high priority.

Usually, I get the notification of these things through the Paint.net program, particularly when it needs a big update. It may require the new .NET version before it uninstalls and replaces itself with the new version of the program, but not always.

It was strangely silent about v3.5, though, and I imagine it`s not required for that particular program ... yet.

Apparently, Ashampoo PowerUP equires v2, as do some USB TV sticks and ATi cards and maybe other things too ... a list would be very useful. I suppose they will run on v3.5 . It usually says vX or later, doesn`t it?

In short, I don`t know what`s going on but it looks like an attempt to get ahead of developments rather than play catch-up.

Graphicool1 11:10 02 Feb 09

Pamy
"I think Net. Framework is realy for programers that is why it is not on the normall updates for windows users."
...and yet this update is only for WinXP and not Vista?

provider 2
"In short, I don`t know what`s going on but it looks like an attempt to get ahead of developments rather than play catch-up."
...they have realed a patch you should install after installing the update!

woodchip/iscanut
Thanks for your input too guys it's always valued and it's always good to have other hopefully, more knowledgable points of view. I'll bide my time, till I get an official notification then or until MS emails me with the low down.

mimosa418 11:23 02 Feb 09

Graphicool1
Both MY XP SP3PC and Vista Laptop installed this as an automatic update . Took ages and several restarts to get everything working well

Pamy 11:23 02 Feb 09
  provider 2 11:34 02 Feb 09

Graphicool 1,

"...they have realed a patch you should install after installing the update!"

I`ve just checked in Custom and Optional. I`m being offered no such patch, only:

Root Certificate Updates
Windows Search 4
WMP 11

Office Live Add-in
Silverlight

Nothing else required for .NET 3.5 if this is to be believed.

Graphicool1 11:49 02 Feb 09

mimosa418 - Pamy
Both of your postings are interesting for what may transpire to be similar reasons.
Combined with something - provider 2 - said earlier. His .Net updates would seem - in the main - to be connected to software he has installed on his PC.
This was made clear by your last entry - Pamy - thanks for that.
So it may be that you - mimosa418 - were notified through the usual channels because you too have software or hardware installed that needs it?
My guess is then that as yet I don't, otherwise presumibly, it would have installed? The reason that my PC is not needing it may have something to do with the fact, that last week - with the aid of Microsoft - I cleared all .NET Frameworks and SP's out of my PC and reinstalled them.

provider 2 12:08 02 Feb 09

Graphicoll 1,

You`ve pre-empted exactly what I was going to suggest, viz. that because these .NET updates are cumulative, it might be that you are missing a sevice pack for v2 (or v3 perhaps) and this is the reason v3.5 will not install.

However, if you have re-installed all of them it`s doubtful if that can be the source of the problem, unless, of course, something has not installed properly that second time round.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5