So Many problems Whats the best fix

StellaArtois63 11:13 08 Sep 03

I have had my first computor now for nearly 3 years and it runs Windows 98se. I had to reformat it twice( Dell spoke me through this ) ,and since then it has never run properly.I cant play games that I used to , certain programs won't run anymore, every so often I have to reinstall scanners and printers because they wont work, and now I have troubles surfing the web because I now have Java script problems and it locks up on certain sites. I use Norton Anti virus and update regulary so I dont believe it has a virus I think its due to my inexperience with PC's that has probably caused it.
What I would like to know is, are there any programs I can buy to give this a check over ( I have Nortons system doctor) or can I take it somewhere to give it a good check up ( not PC World, have not heard good things about them ).I ring Dell to sort out problems but every problem costs me £20.I have also tried to use PC pit stop but now that locks up on me.
I live in the Watford area and would appreciate any help to get this PC running sweet again. Many thanx Ade

Jester2K II 11:28 08 Sep 03

List ALL your problems here with as much info as possible and we'll take you through each problem one by one.

spikeychris 11:28 08 Sep 03

With 98 you have the option of SFC, have you tried it.

IE start > run > type SFC. Have the installation disk in the drive and let it do its thing.

Chris

StellaArtois63 11:39 08 Sep 03

Its actually hard to write them all down because I am not that hot with PC's and dont really understand the messages , some come up with errors so I reinstall them , others just wont run the games simply wont load or just lock up so to be honest I am not being of much help to you sorry about that.

Jester2K II 11:41 08 Sep 03

Doesn't matter if YOU don't understand them. We will. Without more details we can't help much further than general fixes. There is no magic fit it software.

if you tell us the problems and the error messages we can help you fix and understand the problems...

TommyRed 11:44 08 Sep 03

If none of the above work, consider biting the bullet and have the re-format done by your local computer shop. I had my first re-format done by a friend who allegedly knew what he was doing, but couldn't get 2 drivers loaded. Bear in mind I have no discs for this PC, used not stolen, so I had to put it into the shop to have these drivers installed. They told me that the re-format hadn't been done correctly and would have to be done again by them before the drivers could be installed. This only cost me £25.50 up here in North Wales, I know it'll be dearer down by you but at least it'll be right. Then what I did was buy Acronis True Image 6.0 and took an image of my HDD, so I've got a re-format image and also an image later on with all my programs added. It's just a thought but worth considering. True Image, DriveImage and Norton Ghost are around £40, cheaper if you shop around. HTH TR

StellaArtois63 11:49 08 Sep 03

I dont actually have an installation disc the PC is a Dell and it comes with a product recovery cd and when I last did one it asked me for the name of a file which I didnt understand.It says I need to find a setupx.dll file then it gives me a box with restore from and it says D:\Win98 and then save in C:\windows\system when I select ok it then says it cant find the file, verify that you have selected the right restore from location. Doesnt mean much to me I hope you may know.

Magik ®© 11:51 08 Sep 03

Jester has the best idea, but for a start, you could restart in MS-dos then at the prompt, type.

scanreg/fix

minter 11:52 08 Sep 03

Have you had a look at the Dell support site.

Try this click here

Enter your Service Tag No. and it will then let you into a lot of info (it takes a bit of finding, but there is a lot of it there).

I would be thinking of a complete reinstallation of your system - it is a lot easier than what you think. I have done it many times, and at first I did not know a ram from a ewe.

alcudia 12:11 08 Sep 03

If you need a new copy of setupx.dll get it here click here However there is a chance that you may have been pointing the installation to the wrong drive. This would explain why the file cannot be found. From memory I seem to recall that Win98 created a temporary drive when being re-installed and the CD drive that was D became E. So the setupx.dll file would have been in E:\Win98 and not D. Perhaps others can confirm this.

Peverelli 12:36 08 Sep 03

Is your D drive the CD ROM? If your CD ROM has been assigned a different letter then you'll need to change the 'D:\Win98' to 'E:\Win98' (or whatever letter refers to the CD).

To find out, double click on the My Computer icon, left click on the CD player and choose properties. Below the 'pie chart' diagram it will say 'Drive' followed by the letter assigned to it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…