SNRM falls at night, but does not recover completely next day

newearwax 13:10 PM 19 Dec 12

My ADSL2+ target noise margin is 3dB. as is to be expected, the margin falls considerably overnight. The next day I would expect to see it recover to near the target, but it only increases to less than 2dB, very rarely higher.

Is the router faulty, or is there another explanation? Any advice friends? Please!

Router Technicolor TG582N

lotvic 13:20 PM 19 Dec 12

I would try switching router off and after 30 secs or so, switch it back on again to make a new connection.

Secret-Squirrel 14:11 PM 19 Dec 12

Less than 2dB does sound a bit too low, but if you're not getting any disconnections then I don't think you should worry about it.

newearwax 14:55 PM 19 Dec 12

@lotvic On the rare loss of sync I do as you suggest

@Secret-Squirrel

It doesn't present a problem. I am more interested why the SNRM does not rise to the the target. Might anyone enlighten me on that?

lotvic 15:17 PM 19 Dec 12
  Secret-Squirrel 16:59 PM 19 Dec 12

"I am more interested why the SNRM does not rise to the the target."

Noise on the line or an inferior router are two possible causes. What's your downstream attenuation?

newearwax 18:49 PM 19 Dec 12

Att: 47dB Router TG582N as stated above

Secret-Squirrel 19:21 PM 19 Dec 12

"Att: 47dB"

I take it you're a long way from your exchange. The longer your line, the more potential there is to pick up unwanted noise and interference and that could account for why the SNR struggles to get above 2dB.

newearwax 20:37 PM 19 Dec 12

According to Kitz Distance:- Direct: 2.04 km By Road: 2.6 km

Attenuation is for ADSL2+ connection.

The SNRM target was reduced to 3dB after a battery fault a year back, so the system must have thought line not too noisy.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Windows 10 is now available, so do you have to upgrade? 8 reasons…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

How to run Windows 10 on Mac: How to run Windows 10 using Boot Camp or VirtualBox to install…