Sneaky Windows update

Mr Beeline 18:18 01 Oct 07

Even though I have Windows Update set to "download but notify me before updating". That sometimes I come to switch my PC off and notice that my "turn off icon" indicates that there is an update to install when I switch off. Well I've not been informed that it's downloaded anything.

Anyone know what this is about? Something to do with WGA I wonder?

User-1159794 18:20 01 Oct 07

Maybe something to do with this.
click here

Clapton is God 19:19 01 Oct 07

I'm not sure what your problem is.

You say that you have Windows Update set to "download but notify me before updating" and you seem to be upset that you've "not been informed that it's downloaded anything".

But that's the whole point of your setting.

Updates will download in the background and then let you know that there's something to install at a later stage. You can then install the updates at a time of your choosing.

Mr Beeline 21:10 01 Oct 07

Clapton is God

No... what I am saying and maybe it's my poor choice of words (I never did get that English Language O'level back in 75)... is that when you set Windows update to "download and notify" it should do exactly that (IE. notify you) after it's downloaded any updates. This way, I can decide if I want to apply the updates, or not. Rather like it does pretty much every "patch Wednesday" or which ever day in the month Microsoft usually issue their round up of updates each month.

But in this case... It's not bothered to let me know that it's downloaded something. Other than when I come to turn my machine off and I can see that it's got "something" that it's going to apply when I turn off. As to what it is, I don't have a clue. I've noticed this a few times before as well.

Now I'm sure most people don't / won't give a monkeys (Microsoft can do no wrong of course) but as it's my machine, I like to know what's being applied.

Looks to me like Rapscallion is along the right lines.

Mr Beeline 21:23 01 Oct 07

And if that's all it is, then fine. But it would still have been nice to have been informed.

DJ-Garry 23:15 01 Oct 07

I get a tiny pop up near my clock and a yellow shield telling me it's downloading updates but if your busy and clicking around alot, then you can quite easily miss it and the shield gets hidden behind the show hidden icons bit.

Mr Beeline 18:28 02 Oct 07

SupaGaz

Good point.

But I think Rapscallion is correct. Read the article that the thread he points to links to (so to speak).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant