Snail outruns broadband!

Liteman 16:46 23 Feb 10

I have O2 broadband which I am trying to run through a wireless router. The problem is that it runs at a snails pace. OS is XP Home and the wireless PCI adapter card is D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G510. I have had O2 check the system from their end and they say everything is fine, as far as I can tell the BT side is fine aswell (have disconnected everything from phone system and connected router through BT test socket. I have sat my laptop next to the PC and connected to O2 with no problem and at a reasonable speed. Is there somewhere within the PC or it's setup that I should be looking?

GaT7 17:17 23 Feb 10

"I have sat my laptop next to the PC and connected to O2 with no problem and at a reasonable speed."

If this was done wirelessly, then the PCI Wi-Fi card in the desktop may be at fault, in that it has limited range.

Try to tweak its antenna - ensure that its screwed in fully & move it about. If there's no change, then try a USB Wi-Fi adapter if you have one / can borrow one. G

Liteman 17:30 23 Feb 10

Have tried the antenna and that seems OK, moving it around seems to make no difference. I will try a USB adapter, do I need to uninatall the D-Link one first?

GaT7 17:46 23 Feb 10

"do I need to uninatall the D-Link one first?"

No, not necessary. But make sure the USB adapter's drivers are installed & it's functioning OK before running any tests.

If you have any problems/conflicts, then remove the D-Link one from its slot (with PC shut down) for the duration of testing with the USB one. G

Liteman 09:48 09 Mar 10

Have tried using Sitecom USB adapter, no difference. Wierd thing is, my laptop which is sat on the desk next to the PC connects to the router perfectly, whereas with the PC I have time to make a cup of tea between key strokes.

Liteman 13:47 10 May 10

Have tried all that has been suggested, are there settings on the wireless adaptor I should be changing. Have set it to Infrastructure as recommended by D-Link.

When using the laptop I get 54Mbps but 2 ft away the PC registers only 11 Mbps, both wireless. Am beginning to lose the will to live.

Liteman 16:28 10 May 10

Sorted it - changed 802/11b to 802.11g in configuration, now working at 54Mbps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…