Snail Mail between BT and NTL?

Ironman556 22:00 09 Sep 03

Hi, has anyone had any problems sending mail between BT and NTL over the last month or so?

I'm on BT (ISP/email) and have been emailing a friend on NTL (ISP/email). Neither of us have problems sending/receiving email from other people and other email providers. I have checked my account using BT, UK Online, Yahoo, and Hotmail email addresses, and all emails are recieved withing a couple of mins. My friend constantly sends/receives email from all over everywhere and doesn't have problems usually.

The problem isn't constant, sometimes emails will be recieved immidiately, other times it will take hours or days, and today mail has been returned after being unable to be delivered.

Other than using another email address, does anyone have any advice?

BarryKeith 22:41 09 Sep 03

Looks like a possible DNS problem between the two ISP's, you could get around it by installing your own free software e-mail server. click here

madPentium 23:03 09 Sep 03

Personally I think BT and many other ISPs are having problems with emails due to some pesky viruses. There are so many emails flying around that it will probably be a while before it settles down again, until the next time.

Ironman556 23:05 09 Sep 03

Could you explain further please? I don't know much about networks/servers.

I've looked at the link, is it PostCast Server I need?

I'm on dial-up, I don't need a 24/7 connection for a server to work properly? Also would it need to be running at both ends?

Also forgot to say I'm using Outlook 2000 and Outlook XP.

Thanks, Ironman.

Ironman556 23:06 09 Sep 03

hadn't thought of that... maybe that'd explain why it's an apparently 'random' problem?

Ironman556 19:34 10 Sep 03

"Please be informed that there are no reported issues from our side in sending/receiving e-mails to NTL addresses.
I would request you to contact NTL helpdesk to confirm the same.

We are aware that some customers have experienced delays when sending/receiving email. This problem is caused by congestion on our mail servers, however our IT technicians are working hard to resolve this problem and you should see an improvement in the service in the near future."

Does that sound convincing? They've said that there's congestion and I have no reason not to believe them. However, I do like the bit about no issues, then some customers having problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…