SMTP problem in Thunderbird

coinneach 19:31 03 Feb 08

When I try to send emails in Thunderbird, I'm told "Sending of message failed. An error occurred sending mail: unable to connect to SMTP server smtp.mail.btinternet.com. The server may be down or incorrectly configured. Please verify that your Mail/News account settings are correct and try again."
I've been through this and other rituals with BT with no satisfactory result. I noted that a moderator on the Thunderbird forum concluded some time ago that the problem was probably due to Norton. This doesn't apply in my case because I have the same problem on 2 networked computers and only one of them uses Norton!
Can anyone who has a fix for this tiresome glitch please let me in on the secret. (Fortunately Yahoo Mail is unaffected by this, so I'm not in purdah yet!) coinneach

brundle 19:43 03 Feb 08

Server name is probably mail.btinternet.com, drop the smtp. bit

brundle 19:44 03 Feb 08
  octal 19:44 03 Feb 08

Try mail.btinternet.com

octal 20:18 03 Feb 08

By email from coinneach:

"Hello Octal Thanks for your suggestion but I'm afraid I've been there several times without success. coinneach"

If you would mind posting replies in the forum please so that everyone can help you, because I'm not sure what else to try, thanks.

coinneach 20:35 03 Feb 08

Just to confirm that the two suggestions so far have been to modify the SMTP address by dropping the smtp bit. This has failed to solve the problem.
There is something strange going on, because in the past I have always been successful in using smtp.mail.btinternet.com - with or without my username preceding it.

coinneach

brundle 20:44 03 Feb 08

smtp.mail.btinternet.com doesn't exist so I have no idea why it worked before, unless there was some redirection or something.

Can you ping mail.btinternet.com? Start menu/All Programs/Accessories/Command prompt

type

ping mail.btinternet.com

press return

you should see something like this

Reply from 217.146.188.192: bytes=32 time=61ms TTL=55
Reply from 217.146.188.192: bytes=32 time=63ms TTL=55
Request timed out.
Reply from 217.146.188.192: bytes=32 time=60ms TTL=55

harps1h 21:21 03 Feb 08

while you are at it, check the pop3 settings are POP3.btconnect.com

peter99co 21:29 03 Feb 08

Is it not smtp.btinternet.com and pop3.btinternet.com

woodchip 21:39 03 Feb 08

Can you setup your SMTP in Outlook Express then try sending, if it goes import settings into Thunderbird

coinneach 12:30 04 Feb 08

ping statistics: sent 4 received 4 lost=0 (0% loss)
approx. round trip in milliseconds:
min=58ms max=93ms average 78ms. (TTL was 49)

does this tell us anything, brundle?

I've tried Outlook Express, woodchip, but this won't work properly, either!

coinneach

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant