smtp with or without "out"

shellship 17:10 30 Nov 10

I was trying to sort out mail on next door's Win 7 laptop and an XP desktop. ISP is (or was) Tiscali. After experimenting I found that the outgoing server on XP, Outlook Express, was smtpout.Tiscali.co.uk but this did not work on the Win 7 Live Mail machine which did work with smtp.Tiscali. co.uk. It doesn't really matter as next door is happy but why the difference?

letsgetrdy 17:18 30 Nov 10

I don't think that other one is valid. If it was valid at any point in time then maybe as redundancy. But I've never heard of smtpout & doubt it was ever correct.

If they ever had it working with that, then I bow down to their superiorority.

shellship 17:23 30 Nov 10

On both my wife's and my desktops with XP and Tiscali we have smtpout and it's fine!

northumbria61 17:24 30 Nov 10

Tiscali has never been "smtpout.Tiscali.co.uk" - if it worked with that it must have been a miracle.

letsgetrdy 17:24 30 Nov 10

Has that always been the case? or only since talktalk aquired them?

*bows down*.

shellship 17:24 30 Nov 10

Should have added that that is why I tried it on next door's XP desktop first and it works fine there!

northumbria61 17:27 30 Nov 10

letsgetrdy - On both my wife's and my desktops with XP and Tiscali we have smtpout and it's fine!

I bow my head - I was with Tiscali for years and never known that work - is it since Talk Talk aquired them I wonder.

northumbria61 17:29 30 Nov 10

Sorry - above should have been to shellship

letsgetrdy 17:31 30 Nov 10

It's probably since talktalk aquired them. How comes you chose BT at your new place northumbria?

shellship 17:42 30 Nov 10

I have to confess to misleading you all as both my wife and I are with entanet for BB - it is our incoming server that is Tiscali (in my case lineone). However, our outgoing server is smtpout.enta.net. Curiouser and curiouser said Alice.

northumbria61 17:44 30 Nov 10

I had to have a new telephone line installed and thought it would be easier to go with BT and have it all done in one go.
I like the BT Homehub which I have had since April 2009 - only been "off" once due to an "outage" so I am very pleased and satisfied with BT.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5