smss.exe/broadband problem

dburke 10:04 22 Jan 03
  dburke 10:04 22 Jan 03

18 months ago I purchased a computer from Tiny (huge error). After many problems I was advised that the operating system (windows ME) was not the best so I had win 2000 professional installed which has proved to be far better.

On the 08.01.03 I installed BT broadband and since then have had problems.

When not connected to broadband the cp usage monitor shows 100%, as soon as I connect it then goes right down to 4 - 30%.

Also the screen saver freezes when not connected & I get an error message on shutdown title: end programme. C:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\smss.exe. the message advises that windows can not end the prog' it may need more time to complete an operation. It then gives 2 choices end now or cancel, if I end now the computer will shut down.
I can leave it for hours but still get the same message. I have noticed that i also have a file titled system3232 ?

I have also noticed that when booting up there are 2 systems that list failure, I think that they refer to cd adepti ?

Lastly I downloaded win' media player 9 last night and it will not allow me to burn cd's a message error appears saying an error has occurred.

I have tried reinstalling the broadband softwear, running norton windoc and disc clean up etc but all the problems still occur.

Please help!

AndySD 10:33 22 Jan 03

Try using the System File Checker click here put the Win 2000 cd in the drive and close the window that opens now go to the Command Promp and type in

sfc /scannow

and hit Enter

Do you have easy cd by ant chance?

nightporter 12:04 22 Jan 03

A bit of advice, when experiencing PC problems, it's best to get these sorted before installing new software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now