SMSS.exe whats this please

Jayne doe 14:25 10 Jan 04

I have received this this morning is it true and what is SMSS.exe please. I have found it on my computer. Thanks. Jayne

hi, I am from Norway and you'll don't believe me,
but a trojan horse in on your pc.
I've scanned the network-ports on the internet. (I know, that's illegal)
And I have found your pc. Your pc is open on the internet for everybody!
Because the smss.exe trojan is running on your system.
Check this, open the task manager and try to stop that!
You'll see, you can't stop this trojan.
When you use win98/me you can't see the trojan!!

On my system was this trojan, too!
And I've found a tool to kill that bad thing.
I hope that I've helped you!

Sorry for my bad english!

greets

plsndrs3 14:34 10 Jan 04

Here is SMSS.exe : click here It's a Microsoft Session Management Sub System.

If you are worried about Trojans, download and run Stinger click here or better still Trojan Remover click here

Regards,

Paul

Stuartli 14:35 10 Jan 04

click here

and then this:

click here

If you key the details into Symantec's website (or similar AV website) you should be able to find out how to remove it.

Jayne doe 15:48 10 Jan 04

plsndrs3 and Stuartli
thanks for your help. I D/L Trojan remover but found nothing. Then copied the mail and sent to Norton who have said its an email that is based on a current virus Worm.Win32.Ladex going round but the attachment which is said to remove SMSS is in fact another virus called : remove-smss-patch.exe.The attachment was infected with the [email protected] virus. So its a good job I asked you guys. Thanks.

Quote''
Then it registers the files SMSS.EXE and CSRSS.EXE in the system registry so that they execute upon system reboot:
Ladex is a network worm, it is efficient only under Windows NT/2000/XP and it is distributed on local area networks. It is a Windows (PE EXE) file about about 275K in size and is written in Microsoft Visual C++.

[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
@="smss.exe"
@="csrss.exe"

Stuartli 17:33 10 Jan 04

That's what the second link I provided detailed for you - but it's worth others being warned about this particular nasty...:-)

Jayne doe 19:35 10 Jan 04

Thanks Stuarti

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…