SMS from a PC

dms05 13:11 16 Mar 06

Has anyone any experience of sending occassional SMS messages from a PC. I'm told it can be done 'free' from some IM accounts. I'm looking at the smsalias click here which is a paid for service whereby SMS messages to mobiles are send/received as emails.

johnnyrocker 13:22 16 Mar 06

click here

johnny.

dms05 13:32 16 Mar 06

johnnyrocker - your link took me to the Home page for O2. What were you intending me to look at (especially as I'm not an O2 customer)? I was really looking for a service that is independent of a mobile phone network provider.

ACOLYTE 13:34 16 Mar 06

I have used the one johnnyrocker linked to without problems in the past,you did get so many free per month but i havent used it for ages so that may have changed.

ACOLYTE 13:36 16 Mar 06

You need to make an account on the site and then go to media messeging,they will send you an activation code to your mobile and you have to input this on the site,you dont have to be an O2 customer to use the site.

johnnyrocker 13:40 16 Mar 06

it is 10 free texts a month.

johnny.

dms05 13:43 16 Mar 06

Many thanks to you both. Seems ideal fro my needs! I'll give it a go.

johnnyrocker 13:45 16 Mar 06

you can buy extra texts at a reasonable rate.

johnny.

dms05 16:23 16 Mar 06

I've now had the chance to test the O2 service. It's well hidden on their web pages but is worth the effort. If you want to send a small number of SMS messages to UK mobiles (each month) this is the system for you. You don't even need an O2 mobile number, just a UK number. Even additional purchased SMS's are cheap.

If you want something more advanced the click here service offers the ability to send and receive SMS in your email client (or on the web). The cost is about the same as domestic SMS but the same price applies to International SMS. I've registered my Spanish mobile number and can freely send to my UK mobile (and reply from my UK mobile with the response going to my email client). Works with Outlook or Thunderbird or on SMSAlias web pages.

Both systems are recommended. Depends upon what you want to achieve. The O2 offering is essentially free for light users.

Granger 16:35 16 Mar 06

I've been looking for something like this. With either service, do messages have to come back to Outlook, or can you receive them still on your phone? I'd like to send from Outlook when I'm at my PC, but always receive on the phone.

dms05 16:53 16 Mar 06

With the SMSAlias service you can set up (under Profile) ro receive incoming SMS on your phone. It's worth spending an hour setting up the system and trying it with the 10 free SMS messages. SMSAlias send you an SMS confirmimg your User Name and an email confirming your Password. It all went without an hitch for me. Minimum subscription for continued use is €10 (£7).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017