S.M.A.R.T software

cracker23 19:27 21 Apr 03

Hi all.I had Ontrak's smart programme on my previous IBM Deskstar HDD, downloaded from the ibm site.I've now got a new Seagate drive and wondered if it will be ok to use it on the new drive? Thank you

-pops- 19:30 21 Apr 03

Seagate do Seatools which may be similar. check it out: click here

Brian

-pops- 19:31 21 Apr 03

Forgot to say, some of these utilities are brand specific and may object if used on the wrong drive. worse - the drive may object!

Brian

cracker23 19:40 21 Apr 03

That was quick!! Thanks for the link,I knew about Seatools but you can only use them online.That one is by Ontrak too.Dont think I'll take the chance tho' until certain it will be ok.Everything is running smoothly at the mo' so don't want to upset the PC!!! ;-))

-pops- 20:10 21 Apr 03

Check this click here

Brian

cracker23 20:20 21 Apr 03

Thanks -pops- downloading as I type.

muppetmark 20:20 21 Apr 03

How about diskCheckup from click here

cracker23 20:29 21 Apr 03

Brilliant-exactly what I wanted.Thank you.

cracker23 21:59 21 Apr 03

Just to say thank you for that link just ran the diagnostics tests and they're very good.Thanks again;-))

Stuartli 00:23 22 Apr 03

I may be wrong, but as far as I am aware all manufacturers' HDD Smart software programs will work with any drive.

-pops- 05:59 22 Apr 03

Better safe than sorry. My view is that with something so important as a hard drive, if diagnostics software is availble for that brand it is wise to use it. I remember some time ago using Maxblast software to examine an old Samsung drive which wasn't working very well. When I had finished, it didn't work at all. This may have been coincidental, I don't know but it did make me wary!

Brian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…