S.M.A.R.T problem...help please thanks

Pegis00 10:26 10 Oct 04

Hi All,

yesterday I began to get the following message,

'pri Master HD S.M.A.R.T status bad, backup and replace'....press F1 to continue.

When I press F1 all loads up fine. (winME)

HD is a MAXTOR 4D040 H2. So I've been to the Maxtor website and downloaded PowerMax 4.09 and run it.

The fast test found nothiing.

The current drive advanced test gave the following message...'congratulations, your drive is certified error free.'

Heads 16..spt:255...maximum LBA 80043264... test results passed.

BUT as soon as I rebooted my PC I get the Primary Master HD S.M.A.R.T stautus bad, backup and replace....press F1 to continue message again.

Could you help please...do I need to get another HD or not?

Thankyou

Diodorus Siculus 10:35 10 Oct 04

Hard to tell... but given that drives are relatively cheap nowadays, it might be wise to do so.

SMART is not always reliable but can sometimes diagnose things that others miss...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:14 10 Oct 04

S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology) is implemented into all of the modern hard disks. A special program inside the disk constantly keeps tracking the condition of a range of the vital parameters: driver, disk heads, surface state, electronics, etc. At the present time, S.M.A.R.T. technology is able to predict up to 70% of all hard disk problems!

Mostly surface state is cause of problems, as number of errors increase SMART message activated. Sometimes a simply scan and defrag will solve problem and message will nolonger appear.

However the safest bet is to buy another driver and backup all your data before the drive fails.

Rayuk 15:40 10 Oct 04

Have you run the extended test?that may pick up on errors.

Pegis00 15:44 10 Oct 04

it was the "secondary" or extended test we did and the result showed no errors.

Pegis00 15:48 10 Oct 04

P.S. we did everything exceptthe "burn test" as we did not want to lose data

Dorsai 16:08 10 Oct 04

as per Fruit Bat /\0/\.

A disk test checks that the drive can read/write etc.

Smart monitors other attributes also. . If these figures sart to fall outside of 'nominal' values on a too regular basis up pops the smart message.

For egample, if the time for the heads to reposition starts to increase, that would suggest the heads are sticking. eventually they will jam.

Back up.

If it's a false alarm, then no problem. But if an acurate prediction, you have a backup.

grey george 16:50 10 Oct 04

Hi there, this was posted earlier in the week

click here

Back up ASAP

Regards GG

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now