S.M.A.R.T. not so smart?

SimianBenzoate 20:20 20 Oct 03

i have a seagate barracuda IV 80gb HDD which has been running with no probs for over a year. just looked on seagate website & there is an online diagnosis tool to check your drive, which i thought i would do for the hell of it - to my dissapointment it came up saying i should back up everything on the drive as it may fail soon according to s.m.a.r.t.

i ran chkdsk from win xp and this corrected a few bad sectors, when it restarted the bios said i should back eveything up as my harddrive was going to fail - i never had this message till i ran the tool from seagate. i have just looked at the drive's s.m.a.r.t. stats with both aida32 and speedfan and both seem ok.

anyone know whats going on? im just about to get another pc but worried this one won't last till i can back it up onto the new one....

Pesala 20:33 20 Oct 03

That's good advice anyway. Backup everything 'cos it might get nicked, suffer a lightening strike or human error at any moment. A new hard drive is only £50 - not enough to lose sleep over. If you have 99.99% of your stuff backed up to date, and it does crash, just look at is as a new start in life. A lot better than a heart attack.

hugh-265156 20:33 20 Oct 03

take it as a advance warning.it may last another couple of years or it may die tomorrow.

back up just in case.

Pesala 20:39 20 Oct 03

My hard drive is over two years old, and makes some noises when it starts up from cold. I was thinking of posting a question about which new hard drive to buy, but I thought why bother, it might keep going longer than me. When it breaks I'll fix it.

a member 20:40 20 Oct 03

dont know m8 but when i biult my last pc i had SMART enabled along with siguardian and got the same sort of result after about 3 days plenty of warnings that the hard drives were going to fail .
In the end i switched the damn thing off , and here i am 11 months on drives still working perfectly.
I don,t think SMART is all its cracked up to be .

Gary Bee 21:29 20 Oct 03

And there again I had a hard drive where Smart told me it was bad, and sure enough, a couple of months later it was! As stated b4, be prepared and backed up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…