S.M.A.R.T.

Gugs 00:06 02 Jul 03

Both my HDs are S.M.A.R.T. compatible but have not been enabled.
What exactly does 'smart' do (yes I know that it is Self Monitoring And Repair Technology) but, assuming that I can enable them, is it worth while risking chaos by doing so.
Cheers,
Gugs

woodchip 00:12 02 Jul 03

It tells you or it's supposed to tell you if there are any problems with the drive before they go caput not all bios supports the feature even though you drives may support. You need to go into setup when you start your computer to see if you can enable it in CMOS setup watch the screen when the comp boots for something on the lines of "to enter setup press Del for delete key" yours may be different

DieSse 00:56 02 Jul 03

This both explains it and offers a trial download of a monitoring program. click here

DieSse 00:59 02 Jul 03

and here click here

DieSse 01:00 02 Jul 03

even better - this is free for personal use click here

sil_ver 01:08 02 Jul 03

S.M.A.R.T is not really used nowadays as HDD are more reliable also, I'm told, enabling it will slow your system down.

DieSse 01:31 02 Jul 03

The load it places on your system is so small it's probably unmeasureable.

Hard Disks more reliable - you jest, surely. SMART is a modern technique, not an old one. It's not perfect, but it can be extremely useful.

Quiller. 06:37 02 Jul 03

Spot on DieSse.

Stuartli 09:07 02 Jul 03

My Western Digital 20GB HDD is less than two years old but developed bad sectors recently and occasionally makes some rather nasty sounds.

Everything is backed up etc but one problem is that running ScanDisk properly is not good for a (probably) ailing drive...:-(

I enabled SMART in my bios last night, and noticed straight away that the system is slower. It takes an extra 10 seconds to boot up and an extra second or two to open new windows. Removed SMART and the speeds returned to normal.

2 Ghz PC, 512 Mb memory, XP Home.

sil_ver 12:06 02 Jul 03

The fact you have SMART enabled isn't going to stop a HDD failing and if you backup regularly I can't see the point of slowing down your system for no good reason except to get into worry mode every time it reports a glitch. I wonder why mobo Mfrs seem to disable it in BIOS by default.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…