Smetimes stuck at starting windows

newearwax 07:16 01 Aug 08

XP Home, AND Athlon XP2400+

I am a single user but have a p/word to start Windows as a precaution when my grandchildren are around.

Sometimes, and the frequency seems to be increasing, I enter the p/word, and nothing happens, no matter whether I click on the mouse, or they keyboard return or enter keys. The only solution is to turn off the computer and start over again.

Can anyone advise me what may be the cause of this problem and provide a remedy, please?

sinbads 08:45 01 Aug 08

you could remove the logon

Click start-->Control Panel-->User Accounts-->Change the way users log on or off...and remove the check from the box Use the Welcome screen. Click "Apply" and close the User Accounts window and control panel. Reboot and post back your results.

newearwax 09:24 01 Aug 08

Tried but AFAICS it makes no difference as I got stuck again.
BTW a scan showed that I'd picked up a Smitfraud variant but this was removed prior to running your suggestion , so I have discounted that. I hope I am right.

Ditch999 12:25 01 Aug 08

Try running your antivirus/malware scans in Safe Mode.
Have you defragmented?
Try Start>Run>chkdsk /r (space between chkdsk and /)

newearwax 16:06 03 Aug 08

Have done all suggested, but still get some hangs as per OP.The Smitfraud came back as well. I wonder if that could be causing some of the troubles.

mfletch 16:17 03 Aug 08

Can you download this and do a quick scan

Malwarebytes Antimalware

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…