SMC.EXE & other annoying problems

palinka 14:09 16 Aug 07

For a couple of weeks i've been plagued with an error message "Smc has caused an error in SMC.EXE. Smc will now close". If I click to close it it goes away and everything functions normally. But the same thing occurs again, usually at start-up.What is Smc.exe??
At shut down I get a different annoyance - access violation. The error message says "Access violation at address 0129B140 write of [a whole series of different numbers, any of the following, and more, OED59562; 118D9F62; 11C19562; 11C59F62; 11A99F62].
If I click close on this it vanishes; sometiems comes back immediately but disappears on the second close and shut down happens without problems.
Today I discovered that Sygate firewall had vanished. It's possible, iof course, that I've deleted it myself by mistake - but I don't think so.
OS is Win ME; BB connection. I use AVG, updated daily, & Sygate.I defrag regularly. I've run Spybot S&D; A2; and SuperAntiSpyware. None of these shows any problems.
It all seemed to begin when I tried to install more memory than Win ME likes; I removed the extra, but I've had these annoying problems since then - but there may be no causal connection.

palinka 18:40 16 Aug 07

Thanks , Marg7. Did all that but still got problems: deleted Sygate, downloaded fresh copy from Tucows. Got as far as "Removing backup files" in the installation and up comes "SMC has caused an error……"etc, etc. Click on that to close it, and Sygate installation seems to leap to "Completed" ( or a similar expression).
No icon appears for it on the desktop, and it's not listed in All Programs. Delete and start again - and so on several times, inc Start>Search for files named Sygate.
Eventually I also searched for Files named SMC.EXE , found them and deleted them. Then start all over again downloading fresh copy of sygate – this time from Simtel site as tucows seemed to have problems ("cannot open page" even while the files were apparently being downloaded from the site). Started to install the files downloaded from simtel and guess what – "Smc has caused an error….etc" at exactly the same stage as before.
During the afternoon I've also run another scan with A-squared which found and deleted Heuristic,Archive bomb - symptoms of which sound very like what I've been experiencing. Apart from that all seems clean; but I can't install Sygate.
I'm at my wits end. Can anyone solve this for me, PLEASE.

palinka 19:01 16 Aug 07

to add to the problems, I've just found that the msgtag dashboard has been emptied of all the information that was on it only an hour or two ago ( ie 6 emails that I sent recently). Could this be connected to the other problems? if so how? why?

palinka 19:07 16 Aug 07

my attempts to investigate the magtag situation via options produces "Access violation at address 0053125B in module msgatagstat.exe. Read of address FFFFFFFF."
What is going on?

palinka 22:48 16 Aug 07

bump

brundle 22:55 16 Aug 07

Remove any elements of Sygate in safe mode, check if it is running a service; start menu/Run, type

services.msc

Check for Sygate entries. If you find any remove them; start menu/run, type

cmd

sc delete <the exact name of the service>

Check for any other Sygate files and delete them.
You will find AgentRansack returns more files than Windows search; click here

reboot

palinka 23:04 16 Aug 07

thanks, brundle; I'll have a go at that tomorrow

palinka 19:58 17 Aug 07

I started in safe mode. Found nothing under start menu/run/services.msc
start menu/run/cmd produces a list of 15 items, “sygate” doesn’t appear in any but I don’t know what they are.
In sc delete it found hundreds. No sign of Sygate. I recognise a lot, but there are many that mean nothing to me.

Agent ransack is searching the C drive and has found Sygate in some c:\_RESTORE\TEMP files . They are CPY files. Should I delete these?

Also found a couple of my text files in which I refer to Sygate . These are NBI files. I know what those are so will leave them alone

palinka 20:32 17 Aug 07

IN addition to about 50 CPY files referring to Sygate there are a whole lot more of various kinds, all containing some reference to Sygate. How do I know which to delete? eg. BKUPVXDLASTLOG; or RG46C48450.CAB

palinka 11:09 18 Aug 07

thanks, i'll try that

palinka 13:13 18 Aug 07

futher complication - when I boot into safe mode I get message "Explorer has caused an error in Kernel 32.DLL.. Explorer will now close" When I close that the safe mode gets no further than the grey screen with "Safe mode" in each corner; so I can't run or install anything.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017