SMBus Controller not yet installed

swapper 19:36 08 Feb 09

After having a new motherboard installed I find that the SMBus controller was not installed.

Would this have any bearing on the fact that large downloads take a very long time, like SP2 saying 57 minutes, and then not downloading at all? and my backup drive taking four hours to reinstall my C Drive, and then not working properly?

skidzy 20:47 08 Feb 09

SP2 will take some time depending on your connection,ive just tried with an upto 8Mb connection and will take 42 minutes click here obviously will also depend on there server.

Whats the motherboard make and model number ?

swapper 09:14 09 Feb 09

skidzy,

Thanks for your response the board is a Asus P4i65g.

When I spoke to the installer he said it did not matter and I would not notice any difference?

skidzy 11:41 09 Feb 09

Bit busy at the moment...but is that board not an Asrock board/socket 478...im pretty sure it is as ive fitted quite a few of those....apologies if im wrong.
Not checked yet as a bit busy.

If it is the Asrock board,installing sp2 normally sorts your problem as ive come across this several times.

swapper 12:50 10 Feb 09

skidzy,
Thanks for the reply, Yes it is Asrock Board.

Since my last entry, I have been back to the installer of the board, where I collected the CD disk with drivers etc. and the handbook for the board.

After installing the drivers from the CD things have run very smoothly, I am still reinstalling the peripherals.

I am disappointed with the installer, because he failed to give me the above items when I collected the drive and when I queried about the SM Bus controller, he commented that it was not really neccessary, and that he normally throws the disks away? but in fact it did make a big difference, I cannot see the point in providing a Disk if its not required.

Thanks again, my problem is now resolved (I Hope).

skidzy 13:42 10 Feb 09

You certainly need the driver and utilities disk as this saves a lot of hassle finding the correct drivers...these are supplied with the mobo.

In saying that,your board and the smbuscontroller driver does not work normally with the driver disc and sp2 or ms updates normally resolve the small issue.

The SMBuscontroller is needed as this helps monitor your chipsets temperature and voltages,

For reference,run the Chipset Software Installation Utility if you still have problems click here

crosstrainer 14:51 10 Feb 09

Where do these cowboy's come from? Of course it's required :)) (as you have discovered)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…