SmartMedia Card Unformatted?

Gaz W 21:20 14 Dec 03

I had loads of pictures that were taken today on my 32MB SmartMedia card. The camera is an (ancient) Olympus C-1400 XL.

I have a USB SmartMedia card reader which I have been using to transfer the pictures over to the hard disk, as it's quicker than the serial interface that came with it.

When I inserted the card into the reader, it didn't pop up with its usual box, so I went into My Computer and clicked drive G: (SmartMedia card reader). It said please insert a disk, so I inserted it again and this time it said "The disk in Drive G: is not formatted. Would you like to format it now?" or whatever it is it says. Obviously I clicked No because there is supposed to be a load of pictures on there!

When I put it in the camera, the message varies; it's either "CARD ERROR" or "UNFORMATTED CARD". This happened earlier today but I just assumed the card was slightly loose. Should have realised because it usually says "NO CARD".

Is there any way I can retrieve my images or have I had it? Also, is it the card at fault? It would certainly appear to be the card but I can't be sure.

If the pictures are important to you, I would play safe and take the Smartcard to someone like Jessops to save to CD, for example. Then you can investigate the problem without risking their loss.

hssutton 22:18 14 Dec 03

Download this image recovery software. The best Iv'e come across. click here

woodchip 22:28 14 Dec 03

I can send you a program to get your pics back of the card. even when they have been deleted. mail me from little Envelope it's 579kb CampicRestor.zip

Gaz W 23:03 15 Dec 03

Thanks for your replies.

Unfortunately I haven't had time to try anything yet but I'll let you know what happens.

Al94 23:26 15 Dec 03

Apparently you should never format a SMC using XP, it destroys them!

Gaz W 15:37 17 Dec 03

I am using XP, but I've never formatted it.

I'm going to try this program in a minute.

Sorry about the late replies but I've been really busy suddenly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…