Smartmedia card question

peterleemaxwell 15:48 30 Oct 03

I am presently using a 2mb smartmedia card with the top left hand corner above the chip cut off.
I recently purchased a 32mb card,only this one has the top right hand corner cut off above the chip.When inserted into the camera the new card won't register and consequently comes up with an error.
What does the cut off do?
Could I cut the corner off myself to make it work?
Why have some cards got opposite corners cut off?
I thought Smartmedia cards were universal?
Rob Smith.

BurrWalnut 16:07 30 Oct 03

It's to ensure you don't put it in the wrong way!

The Sack 16:08 30 Oct 03

Sounds to me like you have bought a Secure Digital Card (SD) rather than the smart media card you needed

siouxah1 16:20 30 Oct 03

When the smartmedia first came into use it was rated at 5v.

These were all small capacity ie about 2mb.

Later cards are rated at 3.3v.

I believe that you have one of each. The corner missing indicating voltage. I will try to find a definitive answer.

Regards Brian j

peterleemaxwell 16:31 30 Oct 03

BurrWalnut,This is not the case,as no matter which corner is cut off,the card still fits in,but the new card just will not register.
TheSack,The new card has Smartmedia plastered all over it and I can tell the difference between Smartmedia and Secure Digital.
Siouxah1,The camera takes 2x1.5v Batts.
I can only assume that the card must have changed from when it was first brought out.I'm seriously thinking now of clipping the corner off the new card!
Thanks to you all for your help,
Rob Smith.

siouxah1 16:31 30 Oct 03

PS I think you will find the voltage and capacity written on the cards. 3.3v have the top right corner cut with the chip uppermost at the top.

Brian j

The Sack 16:32 30 Oct 03

Looks like you hit the nail on the head:

Q There seem to be two different types of SmartMedia? , with 5V and 3.3V specifications respectively. How can they be distinguished?
A When the golden terminal on the card is faced upward, the 5V card has a notch on its upper left, while the 3.3V type has one on its upper right. Capacity is indicated on this plastic card, followed by the operating voltage.

Q How much compatibility is there between the 3.3V and 5V types? Can the 5V SmartMedia? run on equipment designed for 3.3V?
A Some equipment supports only the 3.3V SmartMedia?, some the 5V type only, and some both types. Be sure to choose the correct type of SmartMedia? for your equipment. In general, the 5V SmartMedia? does not fit into equipment running on 3.3V specifications.

siouxah1 16:35 30 Oct 03

Sorry about that having read your last post.

Just a thought, are you able to format the card.

Does the camera support 32mb? Some earlier cameras did not support over a given amount. Have you checked the specifications?

Which camera?

Brian j

peterleemaxwell 16:46 30 Oct 03

Thanks to all with Info.
I am a bit clearer about it now.There is definately no voltage stamped on the card though.

Thanks a lot,
Rob Smith.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…