Smart Media

Allan RISC OS user 17:46 17 May 05

Re Smart Media card reader
Hewlett Parkard t580UK
1 GB RAM

I have a problem re the built-in card reader, in that when I insert one it is not displayed in a folder window, and I am not offered an option to decide what and how I wish to view the contents. I can however go to ‘My Computer’ and open it from there.

I have looked in the ‘Properties’ and selected type as ‘Mixed’ and open folder to view, but this does not happen and neither do I get a window asking which option I wish to take. It does not auto start in any way.

I can click eject and the icon in ‘My computer’ changes and I can remove the media, I can re insert it and the icon changes again, but it does not auto play or open.

If I click on the ‘Safe to remove hardware’ Icon on the bottom right hand system tray I am advised ‘it will be ok to remove the USB mass storage devices I,J,K,L,’ ‘K’ being the Smart Media, however when I wish to insert another Smart Media Card it is not seen at all, and the ‘Safe to remove hardware’ Icon has also gone from the system tray, so the only way to read another card is to restart the machine.

I am sure the above did not happen this way a few weeks ago.

I have Windows XP home, Service pack 2 and it is fully up to date.

I have had SP2 installed for many months, and do not seem to have any related problems.

Please can anyone help me get over my problems?

DieSse 18:15 17 May 05

Straight out of XP "HElp"

To change how your computer handles multimedia content
Open My Computer.
Under Devices with Removable Storage, right-click the device you want, such as a digital camera or CD-ROM drive, and then click Properties.
On the AutoPlay tab, click the multimedia content type you want to change.
Under Actions, click the action you want Windows to perform when it detects the media type you selected.
Notes

To open My Computer, double-click the My Computer icon on the desktop.
Your removable storage device must be attached to your computer for it to appear in the My Computer folder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…