Small vista annoyances.

scubaseven 07:01 01 Mar 09

Just wondering if I can change something so that little things stop changing?
I have folders on the desktop for music, vids etc.
Each time I open them the contents inside might be tiles instead of my favorite small icons or whatever. Even the size of the folder when opened will be different.
Any suggestions?
I dont think this ever happened with XP.
cheers.

ened 11:39 01 Mar 09

By way of bumping this I would also mention the fact that when you open a Folder it sometimes appears under the current Window and flashes in the taskbar.

User-1229748 11:44 01 Mar 09

yep,i get that happen sometimes but have never bothered to look for solution.

canarieslover 12:00 01 Mar 09

I have only been using Vista for two weeks and I am getting frustrated by the way it ignores 'Apply settings to all folders'. Mind you I went through a phase like this with XP Pro but it started behaving itself again when I threatened to slap it. I wished!! Also getting the occasional minimised window when starting a program. It doesn't make sense as they start OK most times.

ened 12:39 01 Mar 09

I think that is the same problem smackheadz & I mentioned.

As you say: it is an itnermittent problem.

Ventad 12:56 01 Mar 09

But I always understood that you do not put folders on the desktop loaded with music,files,photos or anything else with numerous megabytes of information as this leads to booting problems as all this is loaded on when booting up. it is for shortcuts pointing to these items. I do realise that some computers are left on all the time and never rebooted.

scubaseven 08:40 02 Mar 09

here is what I found works

1. Click on Start button.
2. Type regedit in the Start Search box, and press Enter to run Registry Editor.
3. Click Continue on User Account Control dialog prompt.
4. In Registry Editor, navigate to the following registry branch:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags

Right click on Bags registry key in the left pane, and click Delete.
5. Click Yes when prompt for confirmation to delete the registry key and all its subkeys.

6. Next, navigate to the following registry key (it should be just below):
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU

Right click on BagMRU registry key in the left pane, and click Delete.
7. Click Yes when prompt for confirmation to delete the registry key and all its subkeys.

8. Close Registry Editor.
9. Log off and log on again or restart computer so that the registry keys can be rebuilt and recreated.
10. After logged on, open Windows Explorer, go to Folder Options (Organize -> Folder and Search Options) View tab, and make sure the Remember each folder’s view settings is checked.
11. To ensure that any changes to Folder settings in Explorer window, close the Explorer window after changes to save the settings. Windows Vista will only remember the state of folders of the window is closed.

it has been a day and no change
so seems all good now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5