small hard drive!

mik61ish 07:07 11 Aug 04

I need a hard drive for an old PC the one thats on there at the moment is 405mb, with nothing on the hard drive,I have to clean up the disc nearly every time, just need this as a 2nd PC for the internet & grandchildren,and I would like to install XP, I have seen 4.3 gigs on an auction would that suffice or do I need to go larger? I'm running win 98 at the moment

picklesy 08:02 11 Aug 04

my daughter has an old pc with 6gig. harddrve running xp pro does her for what she needs,although she could do with more memory runs very slugish on 256 could do with 512memory.hope this helps.

jonnytub 10:26 11 Aug 04

For £20 you can get 20gb, a lot more space and cheap as chips.

xania 10:52 11 Aug 04

Not a good idea XP on a machine that old. You will need lots more RAM and not sure if you can get all the necessary drivers. Recommend you go no better than 98SE - even then, you should look for 128 MB min ideally 256. HD - you could probably get away with 4.3 GB but this assumes that you never go beyond internet usage. However, rather than Ebay, where you will double the price in postage costs, why not get along to a Computer show and pick up something there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…