Small doc grows gigantic for no apparent reason

Holon 00:36 01 Dec 10

The RTF doc where I put ideas for emails to my kids became slow to open and clunky, couldn`t figure it out till I checked the size - 300 MegaBytes!!
It only contains things like a line or two of text on a subject, a joke or two, a few links to interesting stories, about 10 pages in total.
Now for the interesting bit - I thought I could eliminate the problem by copying and pasting it bit by bit into a new blank doc, thinking it would suddenly inflate when I got to the `bad` bit. but as soon as I copied a few bits the new doc grew to 300Kb. Cutting the new doc in half produced 1 half at 7KB and one at 1MEGABYTE!
I don`t know what`s going on - can anyone tell me what I can do about this apparently insane ballooning? Other docs are all ok.
Win 7, Asus PC5B-E, Intel 4400

Dragon_Heart 02:55 01 Dec 10

An .RTF (Rich text Format) file will usually be bigger because .RTF is a textual representation of the document. If all you have is some formatted text then there is not too much growth when changing from .DOC to .RTF

If your file has a graphic in it, then think how difficult it is to try and describe a graphic in some form of text to exactly describe the graphic. The text used must be exact enough to describe every dot, and colour shade of that dot, used.

Holon 03:57 01 Dec 10

I hear what you`re saying but 300 Megabytes for a few RTF pages which should be less than 100 KB...

and cutting an RTF file which should be about 15 KB (but is 300KB) and getting one half at 7.5 KB (about as expected) and the other at 1Mb...
something is wrong...

MAT ALAN 07:09 01 Dec 10

click here

might help...

Simsy 07:42 15 Dec 10

if images are included...

But if they're not, I'd copy and paste into NOTEPAD and save it as a txt file.
This will remove all formating.

Then open said txt file and copy the contents to a new WORDPAD document and save it.

If there are images involved, you can insert them into this new document.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…