Small Business Server 2003

JimT 19:17 04 Oct 06

I want to set up my laptop to access the office network (running Windows SBS 2003. The laptop runs on Windows XP Professional.

I have administrator rights on the office network, and am already a user via my PC in the office.

I thought I would simply be able to use my user logon for the laptop, but not so.

How do I do it?

Gongoozler 09:28 05 Oct 06

I can't help - so I'll just bump this posting to the top.

ventanas 09:49 05 Oct 06

I assume your network is a Domain, therefore you will have to join the laptop to this Domain.

Right click on My Computer/Properties. Choose the Computer Name tab. Where it says to join a Domian click on Change.
Remove the text from Workgroup and click the Domain button. Enter the name of your Domain, which you will have to find out if you know it.
You will then be asked for the Domain Administrator name and password to finsih the process. Hopefully you will be welcomed to the Domain. You may also need to restart at this point.

Write down every original setting before you make these changes should you wish to remove the laptop from the Domain later.

ventanas 09:56 05 Oct 06

Sorry, but you will also need to set yourself up as a user on the laptop with the same details as on the Server in order to be recognised. You will also need to enter the laptop details onto the 2k3 Server, using the Server Management facility. Basicically this is not much more than the computer name, but you will beasked if you want certain other installations along the way. Just say no. (untick the boxes). If you need help with this please post back. If you are not the network administrator please ask whoever this is to set things up for you. You could end up with an expensive ornanment.

For the above Domain info please read "find out if you don't know it."

JimT 09:43 06 Oct 06

Thanks very much

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017