Small Business Network Advice

shaq01 20:52 19 Apr 05

I am looking to set up a small network at my office. There will be 4 users in total but I need to be able to scale up to around 8 users in around 24 months time. I will have a broadband connection and I would like to add a server and wireless netwroking via 4 laptops.

Can anyone advise what equipment I need and a good basic spec. Dell offer a power edge 800 server at avery good price at the moment but can anyone advise what else I need e.g. router etc

Forum Editor 18:58 20 Apr 05

The server, a wireless router, and PCMCIA wireless network adapters for the laptops (unless they already have them of course).

You can connect the server to the router using an Ethernet cable, and set up your networking in the normal way. New computers can easily be added, as and when you need them.

vinnyo123 02:26 21 Apr 05

Yes to all stated above. I would also suggest a wired Router and adding a wireless access point for the wireless Laptops.This way your Server(as stated above be wired and the other desktops also for more stability)Wireless sometimes drops connections. Router usually comes with 4 switched ports; plug in server and access point(for wireless)and you can then add other PC's or a switch for more ports (expansion).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…