Small Business Accounting Package

Taff36 14:32 21 Sep 05

I`ve set up a small consulting business and I`m in danger of having to invoice someone! I had Quicken about 10 years ago simply to do invoicing but Accounting packages have come a long way since then. Sage is too expensive and overkill but should I invest in a version of MS Money, Quickbooks or are there freeware/shareware packages about that I should look at?

spuds 15:08 21 Sep 05

You might find something here click here click here click here

I find Quickens is a good product, and it is rather cheap if you get a 2003/2004 copy. Have a look at something like Ebuyer special clearance software.

spuds 15:28 21 Sep 05

Ebuyer: Intuit Quickens Simple Start 2005 @ £33.76 [Quickcode 85005].Not the cheapest, have a look on eBay.

wee eddie 16:57 21 Sep 05

Assuming that you are hoping to deal with other businesses.

Then a thoroughly professional interface will stand you in good stead and if your work is proficient and well priced, more should follow.

A moderate investment now Tax deductible, of course, will pay "divies" in the future.

Newuser38 19:45 21 Sep 05

Have a look at MYOB we used one for some time which was a cover disc freebie, and included stock control which we needed. Now use an upgraded version but I think over the top for basic accounting etc. It will do all the summaries needed for self assessment. I think they have a new more basic version which might suit your needs, try their site, have not got it to hand but give me a shout if you cannot google it.

Taff36 20:55 21 Sep 05

See! I`m talking accountant already. I could knock up a very presentable invoice in Word but I want something a bit more integrated - automatically produces the figures. Thanks for the links spuds, I`ll have a look at all those. MYOB - Now you mention it, I remember that but where`s the disk - thanks newuser38. I`ll check that out too.

Anyone else had actual experience of using one of these programmes like newuser38? Is Money or Quicken any good?

wee eddie 23:05 21 Sep 05

Find out which Software they are set up to use.

While you may pay a little more for the Software, that will pale into insignificance when you get your Accountant's Fee Note.

If they are already set to work with a particular program - go with it. Their bill will run to several hundred pounds anyway, having to use software with which they are unfamiliar with, will add lots and lots of dosh.

Taff36 07:00 22 Sep 05

My accountant doesn`t recommend any particular one. As far as he`s concerned the amount of transactions I shall be undertaking is comparitively small and excel would do for him! Good point though.

keith-236785 08:45 22 Sep 05

At work in the warehouse/despatch office we used to use microsoft Excel to create invoices for export loads, easy enough to setup and easy to exchange data if you need to (most other accounting packages i would expect to understand *.csv) (comma seperated values).

the invoices look good enough and there is a wealth of help on here for Excel.

good luck

ps. MYOB was a little too involved for me (i wanted something simple for my home accounts) i have also used Microsoft Money which was also excellent.

Taff36 09:50 22 Sep 05

Does MS Money include an invoice system?

Belatucadrus 10:12 22 Sep 05

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…