sm bus controller

kiz 12:38 10 Mar 08

I am getting messages that say I need to update my sm bus controller and I have a yellow mark in device manager.
I have an Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.6GHz and Microstar MS 6071 motherboard but dont have a motherboard CD. Never had one (Medium computer).I am running Win XP home edition.
Anyway, looking through various forums, I tried to find the right driver to download by going to the Intel website and downloading the 'Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility' but when I try to run it, I have an error message "Non Intel Error" and it will not install.
I have downloaded Sissandra software and also SIW freeware but it doesnt give me the info I think I need.
Can anyone help. I am not an advanced user. Also, do I need this sm bus controller update as the computer seems to be running OK. I realise it is a few years old now to but has never given me any trouble.
thanks

ambra4 14:37 10 Mar 08

SM Bus is the System Management Bus defined by Intel in 1995.

It is used in personal computers and servers for low-speed system management communications.

An SM Bus controller is integrated into most IntelĀ® chipsets.

You need to download and install the IntelĀ® Chipset Software Installation Utility.

click here

This will install the chipset INF files so that Windows* properly recognizes the chipset's

built-in SM Bus controller and solve the sm bus controller update problem

kiz 15:06 10 Mar 08

Sorry, I think I have made a mistake with my info above. I have an Intel processor but the chipset is a SiS648/963 so of course will not show up on the Intel Chipset SIU mentioned above. (I told you I am not very experienced!!).
Anyway, I have googled Sis and Silicon Integrated Systems but cant get much help from that. How do I go about finding the INF files for this chipset?

ambra4 15:31 10 Mar 08

Download this program and run click on motherboard it will tell you the correct chip set

SiS648/963 is not the correct chipset you need the Intel motherboard chipset

click here

kiz 16:16 10 Mar 08

ambra4
I have done as you say and the details are:
Property Value
Manufacturer MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
Model MS-6701
Chipset Vendor Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS)
Chipset Model SiS648 CPU to PCI Bridge
South Bridge SiS 963
CPU Intel Pentium 4
Cpu Socket Socket 478
Processor Upgrade ZIF Socket
Max CPU Speed 3000 MHz
System Slots 3 PCI, 1 AGP
Memory Summary
Location System board or motherboard
Maximum Capacity 2048 MBytes
Memory Slots 2
Error Correction None
Use System memory
Maximum Memory Module Size 1024 MBytes

Thats where I got the info about the chipset being a SiS.
What do you think?

Eric10 17:00 10 Mar 08

Referring to your original post. If you meant that it is a Medion computer then click here to look for drivers. But if you really did mean "Medium Computer" then ignore this post.

ambra4 17:36 10 Mar 08

MSI Model MS-6701 Motherboard Chipset Model SiS648 is what SIS says

The MSI MS-6701 ((Medion OEM) Motherboard I believe have a live update section in

the bois have try upgrading

If it been like that for years without any problems it might not be required

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:40 10 Mar 08

If its a Medion then the drivers will be backec up on a hard drive partition.

kiz 17:52 10 Mar 08

Thanks for all your rplies:
Yes it is a medion computer and I have had a look on their website and though there are various updates for my computer, it doesnt seem to include the sm bus controller.
Fruit Bat: Yes I have got a backup on a partition but have never used it. I wouldnt know which was the correct driver and I dont want to end up losing a lot of stuff by reformatting or whatever by mistake.
As Ambra4 says, maybe it is OK as is but I will leave this thread open for a little longer but until everything starts to go wrong, I am tempted to do nothing!!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:26 10 Mar 08

My computer - backup (D) - driver - intel chipset - infinst 6.3.0.1007.exe

double click the file and follow the install wizard.

kiz 18:55 10 Mar 08

Fruit Bat,
thanks for your help. I have searched for that file and the nearest I can find is infinst.exe which is in the folder D:\driver\UDMA\SiS files.
Do you think that is it?
My recovery files are in E:

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac