sm bus controller

kiz 12:38 10 Mar 08

I am getting messages that say I need to update my sm bus controller and I have a yellow mark in device manager.
I have an Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.6GHz and Microstar MS 6071 motherboard but dont have a motherboard CD. Never had one (Medium computer).I am running Win XP home edition.
Anyway, looking through various forums, I tried to find the right driver to download by going to the Intel website and downloading the 'Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility' but when I try to run it, I have an error message "Non Intel Error" and it will not install.
I have downloaded Sissandra software and also SIW freeware but it doesnt give me the info I think I need.
Can anyone help. I am not an advanced user. Also, do I need this sm bus controller update as the computer seems to be running OK. I realise it is a few years old now to but has never given me any trouble.
thanks

ambra4 14:37 10 Mar 08

SM Bus is the System Management Bus defined by Intel in 1995.

It is used in personal computers and servers for low-speed system management communications.

An SM Bus controller is integrated into most IntelĀ® chipsets.

You need to download and install the IntelĀ® Chipset Software Installation Utility.

click here

This will install the chipset INF files so that Windows* properly recognizes the chipset's

built-in SM Bus controller and solve the sm bus controller update problem

kiz 15:06 10 Mar 08

Sorry, I think I have made a mistake with my info above. I have an Intel processor but the chipset is a SiS648/963 so of course will not show up on the Intel Chipset SIU mentioned above. (I told you I am not very experienced!!).
Anyway, I have googled Sis and Silicon Integrated Systems but cant get much help from that. How do I go about finding the INF files for this chipset?

ambra4 15:31 10 Mar 08

Download this program and run click on motherboard it will tell you the correct chip set

SiS648/963 is not the correct chipset you need the Intel motherboard chipset

click here

kiz 16:16 10 Mar 08

ambra4
I have done as you say and the details are:
Property Value
Manufacturer MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
Model MS-6701
Chipset Vendor Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS)
Chipset Model SiS648 CPU to PCI Bridge
South Bridge SiS 963
CPU Intel Pentium 4
Cpu Socket Socket 478
Processor Upgrade ZIF Socket
Max CPU Speed 3000 MHz
System Slots 3 PCI, 1 AGP
Memory Summary
Location System board or motherboard
Maximum Capacity 2048 MBytes
Memory Slots 2
Error Correction None
Use System memory
Maximum Memory Module Size 1024 MBytes

Thats where I got the info about the chipset being a SiS.
What do you think?

Eric10 17:00 10 Mar 08

Referring to your original post. If you meant that it is a Medion computer then click here to look for drivers. But if you really did mean "Medium Computer" then ignore this post.

ambra4 17:36 10 Mar 08

MSI Model MS-6701 Motherboard Chipset Model SiS648 is what SIS says

The MSI MS-6701 ((Medion OEM) Motherboard I believe have a live update section in

the bois have try upgrading

If it been like that for years without any problems it might not be required

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:40 10 Mar 08

If its a Medion then the drivers will be backec up on a hard drive partition.

kiz 17:52 10 Mar 08

Thanks for all your rplies:
Yes it is a medion computer and I have had a look on their website and though there are various updates for my computer, it doesnt seem to include the sm bus controller.
Fruit Bat: Yes I have got a backup on a partition but have never used it. I wouldnt know which was the correct driver and I dont want to end up losing a lot of stuff by reformatting or whatever by mistake.
As Ambra4 says, maybe it is OK as is but I will leave this thread open for a little longer but until everything starts to go wrong, I am tempted to do nothing!!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:26 10 Mar 08

My computer - backup (D) - driver - intel chipset - infinst 6.3.0.1007.exe

double click the file and follow the install wizard.

kiz 18:55 10 Mar 08

Fruit Bat,
thanks for your help. I have searched for that file and the nearest I can find is infinst.exe which is in the folder D:\driver\UDMA\SiS files.
Do you think that is it?
My recovery files are in E:

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…