sluggish system

brillday 22:03 30 Jan 03

I recently installed a maxtor 40 hd as slave to my original small drive everything worked fine but now system becomes extremely sluggish and insists upon scanning drive at start up- then scans 15 per cent of drive then freezes, only way to access windows is to exit before scan starts but then system becomes extremely sluggish- a long time after mouse click for anything to happen. Have disconnected new drive and now works fine, any solutions anybody?

Simon_P 22:20 30 Jan 03

It maybe that your older drive conflicts with the I'm sure much faster new maxtor. Consider using maxtor drive as primary master and old as slave (if you really need the other drive.) also some maxtor drives work better when formated with Maxtors own formating tool
Maxtor have a very good FAQ, fourm and after sales support, click here

brillday 22:30 30 Jan 03

I've used their formatting software and initially visited their site when I got the drive.The point you made about using the newer, bigger drive is a good one and I think that's the thing to try next,thanks for the advice.

Simon_P 22:43 30 Jan 03

I have 2 drives Maxtor "dimondmax" ATA133 as primary and W Digital as slave both 7200 rpm but slave ATA 100, performance is v good, had WD drive as primary but had simular problem as you and swoped them. Good luck, glad I could help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…