Sluggish start up on Laptop

Greengo 15:04 18 Apr 07

My laptop as a good processor on it but it take forever to start up. Can anyone give me advise on what i can do to improve this.

Can I remove or disable some of the programmes the initiate at start up?

megat193 15:15 18 Apr 07

'msconfig' will tell you what your laptop is trying to load on startup. You can choose what you want to run, but just be careful you don't disable something that you need to startup. Disabling, using msconfig, doesn't remove the program, it just means that you have to start it manually when you want it.

skidzy 15:19 18 Apr 07

As above:

Start/run and type MSCONFIG and select startup/now untick everything except your Antivirus and Firewall and if any realtime Antispyware program,leave this ticked also.ok,and reboot the system.

Also have you give the machine a spring clean,using ccleaner will most certainly help click here

Any further problems,post back.

Legolas 18:40 18 Apr 07

try this click here I have it installed and it doesnt seem to make a grat deal of difference but it might be better for you.

rawprawn 18:50 18 Apr 07

Just a question which may be too obvious, are you running an external HD attached when you boot. This can and does cause quite a large delay

Greengo 15:46 19 Apr 07

Rawprawn: I'm not running an external hard disk, but i will try all the suggestion above.

Thank you

birdface 17:06 19 Apr 07

Are you running Spyware Doctor,Ad-Aware+ or Avg Anti-Spyware,All of those programs have long run times at start up and takes about 10- 20minutes to settle down,If you have any of them I would stop them running at start up, And run them when you want to.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

New iOS 11 release date rumours UK | new features coming to Siri, FaceTime, Messages and Video