sluggish performance but CPU usage ok

pollpott 15:12 02 May 05

The screen is slow to form pages compared to what it was but when i check task manager the cpu usage settles at below 10% so it's not that there are lots of things taking up processor power. Task manager typically shows some 40 processes running although there are nothing like that number in msconfig. I checked out a web site click here which gives info on what should be running on startup in msconfig, it said that all boxes can be unchecked when running XP, can that be right?

Pooke100 15:17 02 May 05

try some cleaning,

click here click here and run HDD defrag regularly.

powerless 15:17 02 May 05

With the exception of Antivirus etc.

Pooke100 15:18 02 May 05

oh and yeah, you can untick most but I'd leave anythin to do with firewall and Anti-virus alone.

stalion 15:20 02 May 05

best to leave systray and explorer ticked.Try unticking one program at a time to see if one of them is the problem.Also have you done a clean up lately,de-frag,registry,temp files?
click here
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:30 02 May 05

Clear out temporay internet files Use something like Crap Cleaner click here which if you scan for issues will also clean the registry.

A very safe program you can delete anything it finds.

pollpott 16:00 02 May 05

thanks for the advice, I have downloaded and run the reg. cleaner but there are so many things in the list I don't know where to start. Any suggestions?

stalion 16:17 02 May 05

back up your registry before deleting the items found.Run the registry clean up program again and delete all the items found
Info for backing up your registry here
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:24 02 May 05

Delete them all if you have used Ccleaner it will be perfctly safe to do so.

Right click select all delete.

Pooke100 16:28 02 May 05

With regseeker i delete all the green ones, and leave the red there, never had problems in the months I've been doing it.

Like fruitbat, delete EVERYTHING that ccleaner finds.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…