Sluggish PC

Txerra 09:19 14 Sep 03

Hi all,

I a running XP with and old Celeron 500 Chip and I find it very slow in spite of having 320MB of RAM. Navigating on the Net is terrible it takes ages pages to download. Even opening folders takes longer than normal. Is it because of the combination of XP and my poor chip? I also have ZOnealarm. And I believe I have some spyware How can I get rid of it?
I regularly defrag. However, I have never scandisked before, as I cannot find the Scandisk facility on XP. And also , I would be grateful to get some tips on how to get rid of temporary files that stick around.

Also, I should mention that I have a small Local Area network installed, which is the one that XP prompts to do so during installation. I have being enduring this problem for quite a while now and I have decided to reach out for some help.

Please could you give some advice?

Thanks a lot

Txerra

VoG II 09:28 14 Sep 03

To Scandisk in XP (which is called Chkdsk) open Windows Explorer, right click on the drive, Properties, Tools tab and click on check volume for errors.

To check for and eliminate parasites click here

SEASHANTY 11:15 14 Sep 03

This education website click here
lists the minimum requirements for Windows XP as P3
256 MB RAM and thirdly 2 GB free on the hard disk.
If your hard disk is nearly full up then you will notice a slowdown. Maybe your PC needs an urgent
full defragment.

Txerra 13:39 25 Sep 03

The computer gets regularly Defrags. I believe It has to do with the processor and probably all the spy shit I may have. I am downloading the prgram as suggested. I'll keep you informed.
Last question where can I find all those Temporary files so that I can do a good cleaning.

Thanks,
Txerra

expertec 13:53 25 Sep 03

Use Ad-Aware click here as well as Spybot

Txerra 14:15 25 Sep 03

Thanks for the info but my finances are not in a position to afford such program. It looks interesting though.

Any tricks to get rid of more normal temp files?

Thanks again
Txerra

johnnyrocker 14:22 25 Sep 03

i might be suggesting suck eggs and apologies if i am, on a web page select tools internet options delete temp internet files, there is also a facility within the advanced tab in there to get xp to clear temp files on shut down.

cheers.

johnny.

Txerra 14:51 25 Sep 03

Thanks Johnny,
I am afraid I was already familiar with those temp files. However, thanks for your quick response. I was more after another kind of temp files that some applications may generate and are left hanging around the system.
Thanks,
Txerra

expertec 16:24 25 Sep 03

there is a free version of Ad-Aware for personal use click here

Rayuk 18:10 25 Sep 03

And the C:/Windows/Temp files?

woodchip 18:19 25 Sep 03

For .tmp file's go to find files type *.tmp and just delete the files it finds

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…